The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rockolaOffline
Post subject: The Cascades  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2012 - 06:45 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Wurlitzer1450: hope you can see this ok, newsprint is tough to scan. this is from
green river, wyoming. don't know anything about them, i have a guy
near here who may know some of these guys if i ever get time to visit
with him.

DSCF1224a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59 KB
 Viewed:  12722 Time(s)

DSCF1224a.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2012 - 08:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Any relation to the "Rhythm of the Rain" group?

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2012 - 08:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i'm fairly certain there's no connection to the "rhythm of the rain group". my friend murf from green river owns a auto repair shop in bloomfield, new mexico. he is about the same age as these guys. i'll try and show this to him when i have time. he may know them.

Heidler
Post subject: The Cascades  PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 - 12:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wow!

That IS hard to tell, though one of the guitarists does look like Eddie Snyder, and the group DID appear in suits like that, the shot is just a bit too fuzzy to pinpoint if in-fact the group is San Diego's own Cascades.

May I suggest that this photo be sent along to my old pal John Gunmoe ( founder of The Cascades and as vocalist and keyboards for the group )

Contact John at: RAINSONG4U@AOL.COM

John is very good about answering his mail and I'm sure he would be most interested in seeing this.
He now lives in Tustin, California.

Edit:
Just a thought, but if anybody does contact John, ask him about when The Cascades appeared on the EVIL Regis Philbin show when he was in San Diego ( KFSD Channel 10 then )
The boys finished their performance, it was after 10pm ( remember curfew? ) so Regis made them stand in the alley behind the studio while the rest of the show went on.
John will fill you in.

Never did like the EVIL Regis...

H

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 - 07:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've always had a soft spot for the material they did on the UNI label. Stuff like "Maybe The Rain Will Fall" and "Big City Country Boy" have been oddball faves of mine for many years.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 - 09:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Heidler, ty for john's email, i sent the pic and a link to this discussion to him. "rhythm of the rain" and "the last leaf" have long been favorites of mine.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: The Cascades  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2012 - 09:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

just checked my email and noticed a note from john, here's what he said -----

Jerry: Yes, that's an early picture of the group. That's me on the vibes which is the first instrument that I began playing before switching to keyboards/elec.piano. This was before "Rhythm of the Rain" I think. Thanks for sending it. I'll have to post it to my facebook page. John Claude

i still have doubts that this is johns group. after all this pic is from the "rocket miner" in rock springs wyoming. green river wyoming is only 15 miles from rock springs. i'll try and research it further.

Heidler
Post subject: The Cascades  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2012 - 01:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hello wurlitzer1450...

Glad you heard from John Claude Gunmoe.
Unlike so many, John Claude is very good about answering his mail and relaying information about his group, The Cascades.

I'll have to go with what John Claude stated about the posted photo, but it's still a bit too fuzzy for me to compare it to another of the group performing at the Red Coat Inn in San Diego ( 5933 University Ave )
( I always thought the venue was on PCH... so there you go )

They are certainly in similar ' stage ' dress ( no vibes as an instrument ) though by this time there had been several group-member changes.

I won't put John Claude's recall into question, but one time he said he didn't remember the tan Dodge station wagon ( with a small equipment trailer in tow ) with " Cascades " neatly painted in blue on the sides*
(* I actually saw this vehicle in 1963 just coming off of 395 near San Diego )
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Later group-member Tony Grasso ( bass / vocals ) joined in 1966.
Interviewed when working as a manager of a Chevron gas station in Santee, California.
( interesting what he said about where the group had played during their careers )

" No, I wasn't with them when " Rhythm Of The Rain " was out, I came in later "
" Yes, I know Barry DeVorzon, they should have stayed with Valiant ( records ) but they wouldn't let the group play their own instruments on their sessions, even at Gold Star "
" John Claude had to sell them his music ( publishing ) to get out from under them "
" It's too bad, because Barry's really a nice guy, not like most of them "

" Before and after " Rain " the guys played the big places and really small clubs and things like National Guard Armoury hops and some t.v. "
" We all got tired of living out of suitcases, the touring could be hectic "
" People like GAC and William Morris, they didn't care about you, just look what happened to Buddy Holly, they ran him ragged on those tours, then when he was killed they wanted the tour to keep going, they didn't worry about broken-down busses and frost-bite "

" You can spend a lot of idle time talking with other people on those tours, what kind of deal they have, who to stay away from, and let me tell you, there's plenty of them! "
" Sure, you have disagreements, you go on, you have to "

...When last heard from, Tony was in Arizona ( Tucson ? ) working in construction...

P.S.
" When the evil group " The Who " were asked about some of their favorite records, Roger Daltry replied: " There's this song, " Rhythm Of The Rain "... I love that "

H

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2012 - 08:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

thanks for the additional info Heidler. you're probably correct in your summation, after all how many groups from that period used a vibe player in a R&R band? knowing what that part of wyoming was like the first part of feburary in the early 60s is the only reason i could doubt it might not be them. in the early 60s i think not many people knew about wyoming. groups play in strange places tho, my old friend pat from rock springs said the glenn miller band did a show in pinedale, wyoming last month and he attended and the ventures did a impromptu concert at the log inn west of rock springs in the 1980s. pat also said the log inn has reopened as it was originally, a steak house. i've had many good meals there when i lived in rock springs.

does anyone have any ideas on how to scan newsprint articles? i really have difficulty getting them readable when i scan and post them.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2012 - 10:41 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
my old friend pat from rock springs said the glenn miller band did a show in pinedale, wyoming last month and he attended

They played in Cody as well. It was an excellent concert.

I bought a used Dave Brubeck LP with a concert flyer inside detailing a 1980 appearance in Cody. A friend told me that Duke Ellington came to Wyoming during national tours many years ago. So Wyoming is not totally forgotten, although sometimes it seems that way.

Jump to: