The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kimzterOffline
Post subject: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 - 09:55 PM
Level 3
Level 3

ok here is the sad story. My wife bought me a usb turntable a while ago. mostly because I have all these records sitting around the house I guess. I really hadn't played them in years. So this summer, I started to put my records onto the computer then onto cd . I have refallen in love with my records but now the damn turntable won't play at 33 1/3 anymore. I took it all apart and put it all back together but it still won't work right. I did the internet search thing and came up with zilch for ideas other than throw it away and buy a better turntable.It really is all about listening to each one again after so long and deciding which i will keep and which will go on the garage sale list. Origionally i was only going to play each album once then just do the cd thing, but now I think I will play the vinyl as well as having them on my computer.

So here I am with the million dollar question. What is a good economical option for both putting my records onto my computer and still being able to play them

Edit: Or does anyone know a repair for the speed problem? It is an innovative technology itut-201 turntable.

Reply with quote Back to top
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 11:00 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

How about contacting IT for service - http://www.ithomeproducts.com/support

50-50Offline
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 02:33 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Did you try replacing the belt?

For an alternative, consider the audio technica at120lp-USB.

Fireflite
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2012 - 05:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Buy some 45s, much better anyway.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2012 - 06:27 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The inexpensive "USB turntables" are generally low quality designs with crude ceramic cartridges. Sorry to hear of the malfunction but I don't think this unit is worth spending any more time or money on.

A used vintage turntable with a decent moving magnet cartridge will provide far better results. Or, as "50-50" suggests, the Audio Technica AT120LP would be a much better choice if buying new.

kimzterOffline
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 - 09:55 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have done a little more investigating and see some really bad things about the ceramic cartridges and such things. I did email IT support page but haven't heard anything from them. So I believe I will go with a new (to me anyway ) setup. @fireflite: I never have appreciated 45's they only have one song per side where's the fun in that?
So what i should be looking for is a decent turntable and a preamp that I can plug directly into my soundcard right?

50-50Offline
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 - 08:57 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, but note that most tables at the low end come with built-in preamps (and often USB output).

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject: RE: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options  PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 - 03:29 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

"Where's the fun in that," you ask? There's a treasure trove of songs on 45 that never made it to albums, and criminally forgotten one-hit wonders who never even made albums. Get enough of 'em together and you can assemble some killer compilations.

Anyway, if we were each other, I'd be looking for a decent older turntable and a receiver with a Phono input and tape output that you can connect to your PC for recording purposes...and some speakers to enjoy listening to it all through when you're not recording. Listen to the albums on vinyl in the living room, and on CD everywhere else. Cool

B_big.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2012 - 01:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( (((((((
    Kimzter! Firstly welcome to the 'Guild', you've found the place where nearly any question regarding vinyl will be answered satisfying. We appreciate each newbie, you'll see, this is the place to be, if you're seriously interested in vinyl record collecting.

To give you a clue regarding your response to 'Fireflite's' post, the fun in collecting 45s is in the grooves (as it is with any record). Over here in Europe most of the 45s are issued in a picture sleeve (sometimes just in a limited edition) and of course, like 'Rick-TV!' stated, there are countless songs, that hasn't made it on an album. So you miss a lot of outstanding tunes by avoiding singles.

On the other hand is it an illusion to expect top notch sound results from cheap equipment, and, as 'Cactus' mentioned it to the point, these USB tts are from the very low quality section!

I think, you will have to pay attention to the responses of our experienced members if you want a proper solution for your problem.

At least, if you own the records, where's the appreciation in digitizing your vinyl record?!

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Fifty-FiftyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2012 - 01:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
At least, if you own the records, where's the appreciation in digitizing your vinyl record?!

Having a digital copy means you can listen to it other than in the room where you keep your analog rig. Also, playing the digital copy means you aren't adding incrementally to the wear on the vinyl.

Granted, it's not nearly as much fun, but there are good reasons for it.

Jump to: