The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
waynetaylorOffline
Post subject: Goldmine prices vs ebay prices  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2012 - 10:01 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Ive noticed Led Zeppelin prices on Ebay are alot more than the Goldmine price guide lists them for. Why is that? Are there that many Led Zeppelin albums out there in NM condition?
wt

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Goldmine prices vs ebay prices  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2012 - 10:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Goldmine, like all price guides, is just a starting point. Some stuff on ebay will go higher. If you're lucky, though, you might find a local dealer who just goes by the guides and you can get something for less than if you try to bid on it.

Fifty-FiftyOffline
Post subject: RE: Goldmine prices vs ebay prices  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2012 - 10:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Somehow, "heavy metal" and "near mint" don't seem like a natural pair, do they? Smile

The thing to remember is that different markets can have different price structures for the same good. Goldmine, if memory serves, draws its data largely from brick and mortar retail outlets. eBay is primarily an auction market, and a rather seller-friendly one. You wouldn't expect to pay the same price to a private seller that you would at a thrift shop, either.

My guess is that what you're seeing on eBay is prices being bid up by naive buyers who think they're bidding on something rare and precious. Whereas the guy who runs the local shop knows he's gonna see another couple of Led Zep IIIs come in next week.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 27, 2012 - 04:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i was snagging some xmas stuff at Books-A-Million. They had 2012 Goldmine guide. I wanted to snag
it (I liked the new format/pics), but didn't have enuff buckaroos Sad

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2012 - 11:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

There are some factors in pricing that are not included in the Goldmine guides, which are intended for general record collectors.

For example, certain early-pressed Led Zeppelin records mastered by Robert Ludwig or George Piros are in high demand as audiophile LPs. They can sell for 10 times as much as a regular copy if they are properly marketed.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2013 - 03:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The time of printed Price Guides are over. Actual, up to date, prices that people actually paid for items are available 24-7 online. Popsike, eBay and Discogs are all good places to find actual values of actual completed transactions to show what a given album is currently valued at and actually selling for.
With Popsike, you can actually watch the prices rise and fall over the years. Printed Guides are outdated the day the come out and in no way can compete with the internet. Don't get me wrong, I have dozens of guides on my shelves and have been listed as a contributor in many of them as they were a great discographical resource, but the times have changed.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2013 - 04:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Rafter242 wrote:
...many of them as they were a great discographical resource

I think that's one of the reasons they're still indispensable. Take Docks' guide that people rely on for 78s info - there's a wealth of info about labels that can't be found in a single source on the net. Also, the record pricing in that guide is still extremely useful, as it's frequently not possible to find online examples of completed sales for many of those titles. Another reason guides will never go away is, I think, the same reason books in general will never leave us - you can't cozy up with a kindle around the fireplace. There ain't nuthin' like a book.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2013 - 06:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Another reason guides will never go away is, I think, the same reason books in general will never leave us - you can't cozy up with a kindle around the fireplace. There ain't nuthin' like a book.

Amen to that. I understand the advantages of a Kindle, but I prefer the actual hard copy of a book.

I agree with hrtshpdbox about guides. Modern technology doesn't make them quite as necessary as before, but there are a few conveniences in book form that aren't quite there yet when it comes to technology (the Docks book being a good example).

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2013 - 06:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hrtshpdbox,
I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I think all of us record collectors have that connection to the physical item. But let us not deceive ourselves about the fast transition away from physical media that this planet is experiencing. E-books are already outselling traditional books. I love books, but I don't want us to keep cutting down trees to enjoy them. The same with music. The same with video. Society is moving on. Let us not talk of stopping progress because we are more comfortable with what we grew up with and what we are used to. The younger generation does not share our views and they far outnumber us. I, for one, look forward to seeing what future they usher in.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2013 - 09:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Rafter242 wrote:
I love books, but I don't want us to keep cutting down trees to enjoy them.

I'd never feel guilty, when reading a book, about the poor 'ol trees. Trees are here for man to enjoy, and to use. What's more, despite using them constantly for housing (and books), there's more trees in the United States than there was 100 years ago. According to the FAO (Food & Agriculture Organization), "forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. By 1997, forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920."
http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/x4995e.htm

Rafter242 wrote:
Society is moving on. Let us not talk of stopping progress because we are more comfortable with what we grew up with and what we are used to.

Sorry, I disagree; by all means, we should talk of stopping "progress" if we think society's particular ideas about "moving on" happen to be poor ones. I'm sure, for instance, that there's some dopey busybody out there who thinks it would be "progress" to pass a law forbidding logging of trees. He would be wrong, that would be a bad idea despite how he and his crew think it's "progressive". Similarly dumb concepts about what constitutes progress are shot down all the time, thank goodness.

Rafter242 wrote:
The younger generation does not share our views and they far outnumber us.

Yeah, they embraced CDs and MP3s; the majority isn't always right, and there's frequently good and noble reason to rail against the tide.

Jump to: