The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: xx  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 11:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

more title strips...

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: xx  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 11:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

great story about the title strips being on the pool tables Heidler, it reminds me of Black Hawk vending in rock falls, ill. in the 50s my cute little girlfriend and i would drive over there in my 55 chevy bel air and look thru the juke box take offs they had for sale. the records were piled on pool tables and they had one pool table piled high with nothing but pic sleeves which were free. "come on kids, take all you want" bob the route man would say. i had met bob at my workplace which was a upscale nite club and dining establishment. he was the one who got us started going to buy records from Black Hawk vending. i think they were ten or 15 cents each when the record store price was 98 cents. sandy, my girlfriend would look thru the 45s for avalon, fabian, E, and the other titles girls liked while i searched for carl perkins, gene vincent, eddie coshran, and bill haley. we would usually leave with 8 to 10 records and a big stack of free pic sleeves.

i remember many "tiger" pic sleeves when it was a hit. the jukers hated pic sleeves because they couldn't see which record was in the sleeve. the standard procedure for the route man was to take about 5 or 6 new releases around to the locations each week, put them on the jukebox and empty the money. what happened is the records they took off which was the ones that got the fewest plays would go into the sleeves of the new records they were putting on the jukebox. the route man would tuck the taken off title strip into the sleeve with the correct record.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 11:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Great thread, love those wall boxes. And my old BDUs seem to be a little tight on me now, for some reason.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: xx  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 06:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
my wall boxes, i'll write more about these when i get time.

I love the photos Jerry! Those wall boxes are exactly what I remember, particularly from "Marra's" a great Italian restaurant in Springfield, Pennsylvania back in the mid '60s. You could sit at any booth and scroll through the titles, put in the money and the main jukebox would play the record. Of course I was just a kid with no money, but it sure was a thrill anyway.

Those title strips are great. Some fantastic music, huh?!

gbfrank
Post subject: RE: xx  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 07:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

spiffy!

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: xx  PostPosted: Jan 16, 2013 - 09:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i'm going to load my wall boxes with title strips of 45s that really mean something to me. i sell these wall boxes to people and most use them to put telephone numbers in. in the 90s my friends who were jukers in western wyoming gave me about 75 wall boxes. i thought i had sold all of them but i found 8 in my sons garage in rock springs. in the 70s most of the jukers had these, price was about 5 to 10 bucks each, who would've guessed how desirable they would become.

the last place i was in that actively used these wall boxes was the "sands" on pilot butte in rock springs. in 1966 i would come home from the drag strip towing my car and stop at "ives" drugstore in franklin grove, ill. and we would sit in a booth and drink cokes mixed by hand by the owner. i remember getting into wine making and this drugstore had a huge pile of gallon coke syrup bottles stored outside. the owner told me to take all i wanted. it's amazing how much of the stuff we thought of as junk not too long ago is so "collectable"today.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: xx  PostPosted: Jan 16, 2013 - 11:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm too young for vinyl jukes, but when I was a teenager the diners in the area had those little juke boxes at each table (& a cd bank in the back) and it was 25 each or 5 for $1 so we'd always get 5. So we'd flip through the whole thing and write down what we want and then pay up and plug in the codes. Thing was the turn-wheel was always really hard to turn, hard plastic with teeth so after flipping through the whole thing your thumb would be sore the rest of the day. Funny the little things you remember. Wonderful pieces you have there, certainly my speed since I don't have enough 45's to fill a big one or any place to put it.

Jump to: