The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dizzyphileOffline
Post subject: importance of jacket  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2004 - 11:13 PM
Level 1
Level 1

What is the importance of both the outer and inner jackets? How does the quality or absence of either affect a records value?

Reply with quote Back to top
jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2004 - 08:36 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Jacket generally represents about 40% of the value when it comes to condition. Absence of jacket in my experience makes the record virtually unsellable for more than a buck, if that. Exceptions include: Beatles butcher cover--presence and condition of the record is incidental; cheesecake/nudie covers--presence and condition of the record is incidental.
To me, the inner sleeve is important only when it is a lyric sleeve or contains custom pictures--in other words, not a generic RCA sleeve etc. Having the generic sleeve is of course a plus, and to more picky collectors would be more necessary. I think a fair number for a lyric or custom sleeve would be 10%-20% of the total value to a picky collector. Book values generally assume the presence of the original sleeve.

Other opinions?...

cityboy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2004 - 08:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Well i'm in Canada, so it's REALLY important to us.

It's damn cold up here, so we never go out without a really good jacket! Laughing Laughing Wink

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2004 - 08:47 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

agree with jackcaptures comments...

in part on sleeve/cover importance is to keep vinyl safe from dust etc.

some picture disc has originally come out in "special" plastic sleeve or cover. The picture disc itself is naturally the most valueable part of this, but to keen collector original bag is important. I have for example one Elvis picture disc, nice item itself, but it also has sleeve with pictures on cover. Another example, Cure Disintegration, originally come with special plastic sleeve to hold picture disc inside...

As above ones, picture disc surely would be possible to sold, but without original cover/sleeve, value drops a bit...

Rgds, Kimmo

Jump to: