The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
brioma33Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 - 05:29 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I bought mine for $100. I don't think that you'll get it much cheaper than $80

Reply with quote Back to top
Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2013 - 07:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

mackdaddyg wrote:
After reading these posts, I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get the Spin Clean machine.

Amazon has 'em for around 80 bucks. Is that the best price, or is there a better place to buy one?

They are $79.99 with free shipping direct from Spin-Clean.
http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/

I would buy from there, so they don't have to pay commission to Amazon.
(I love Amazon, but let's support the little guy for the same price.)

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2013 - 08:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks, Rafter. I'll do that.

BlackguardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 - 05:54 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I just bought a spin clean washing system. It works like crazy! But I would recommend using distilled water in it.

In a local used record store I bought a copy of Devo's "Watch Us Work It" ep. It played, but side one sounded like a bad pressing. I washed it in the spin clean and when I played it full fidelity on side one was what I heard. No more muffled sound. I was convinced of the spin clean's worth.

vinowinoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 - 04:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I would suggest a look at the KNOSTI clean kit. Same system but has two covers on a spindle that clamp over the label to prevent it getting wet. Record revolves on the spindle through fluid in trough.
I don't use the KNOSTI fluid though, it seems to leave some residue so I purchase another cleaning fluid.

GraemeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 - 05:26 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I would recommend using distilled water in it

That should be a given, no matter what cleaning method is used.

Heidler
Post subject: Vinyl LP Cleaning Units  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 - 10:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hilfe!

I used distilled water mostly because I always drank the Knosti ( as Falco would say: " Nashti " ) fluid...
No good at cleaning records, but it made a mean cocktail... with 7-Up and ice!
( my eyes were brown, now a bit more blue...and look ma!... no film! )

In the old days, we never had much of this stuff, and my ancient Savoys ( etc ) still play just as well without it ( and my " ten- penny-nail " needles )
As I pack my " S " boxes ( singles ) listening to Nappy Brown right now ( " Dont Be Angry " ) and it sounds just as good as it ever did.

The key is good protection, not rip-off fluids or contraptions...

Ahhhh, those old Rec-O-Vacs ( mine from Woolworths at $19.99 ) used only for the older singles I used to buy used from places like Western Amusement, most with only a coating of dust from being stacked on pool tables by the hundreds.
( the raised labels on ALL the 45s prevented them from being scratched from other records in the piles )
Not a one ever skipped, snapped, crackled, or popped, and I can still play them today without spending hundred$ ( more or less ) on a " cleaning " device(s) or....

To each his own, every collector deserves to maintain their collection as they see fit, especially LPs and rightly so...
Thus, I am willing to go into bu$ine$$ with anybody that has a good idea for cleaning discs, including a spinning barbed-wire machine, to get right down there into those grooves! ( then a Q-Tip to get the residue off )

( Thanks L.C.! )

OhmylookatallofthosewetlabelsIspentsomuchmoneyonespeciallythoseoneeightys!

I need a shot of rhythm and blues...Next Savoy-label...Wilbert Harrison...

H

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: Vinyl LP Cleaning Units  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 - 10:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Heidler wrote:

The key is good protection, not rip-off fluids or contraptions...

Aha! But the problem for folks like me who weren't around when this stuff was new (or still current) and in the local Woolworth's is that we do find 'em dirty and mistreated. That's really why one of these puppies (or at least some sort of cleaning method) is needed.

The last time I posted about buying one of these machines, I had to put it off for financial reasons, and it fell through the cracks. I need to start getting serious about it again. I've got a bunch that need a good cleaning before I let a stylus touch 'em.

Heidler
Post subject: Vinyl LP Cleaning Units  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 - 05:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi mackdaddyg..

Point taken...

I hope you do find something that suits your needs and do not have to spend a fortune for it.

Once, I saw a demonstration, in a Stereo Equipment shop in North Hollywood, of a unit for cleaning records ( sorry, the model name now escapes me, but it was black with red and black controls, and a clear lid and a small " T-handle " for fluid egress )

They had invited customers to bring in one record each ( LP ) so one could see the results.
I must say I was duly impresed, especially with the residue left in the ( partially clear ) tank from just one cleaning cycle of an LP, it sucked, spun, and whirred and rinsed ( quietly )...then the bad news....

Even back then, I think they wanted about $1,400 for the " basic " model, more for the custom lines of other models.

I did have a think, while I stayed there a little longer and came to the conclusion that one would have to change the solution ( about $10 for a small bottle ) quite often in order to be effective, and I know they were adding bottled water to a slot on the side ( or rear ) and then had to empty a large plastic container after every cycle.

I remember the man saying " same water you use in an iron " so I assume it was indeed distilled water.

They gave out pamphlets and I am sure I have it somewhere in the " file-pile " since I have always kept most everything given to me!

I think this, or like unit, would be far more expensive now, but back in the early 80s, if I had $1,400, I would have been spending it on records ( or perhaps a juke ) or to finance a trip somewhere, and find another way to clean my records if needed.

If you do get something that you think is satisfactory, does the job without turning any handle manually, and comes in at under thousands of dollars, please let us know.

Good luck with your search for the right unit.

Thanks for posting.

H

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Vinyl LP Cleaning Units  PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 - 08:07 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

If you do get something that you think is satisfactory, does the job without turning any handle manually, and comes in at under thousands of dollars, please let us know.

You have hands, I presume?

As I said earlier in this discussion, it's perfectly possible to clean records manually, providing you do it the right way.

Those of us who use a machine, do it for speed and/or repeatability, not because it necessarily cleans any better.

Jump to: