The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
B_big.Offline
23 Post subject: The Dutch - teeth  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 - 12:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( (((((((
    Here's the front cover of the Dutch live E. P.

MackTheKnife_CBS-EP-5515(nl.jpg
 Description:
Dutch 'Mack the Knife' live E. P. - 5.515, 1962
 Filesize:  38.78 KB
 Viewed:  246 Time(s)

MackTheKnife_CBS-EP-5515(nl.jpg

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject: RE: The Dutch - teeth  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 - 02:12 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

JLoop, many thanks for the d/l of "Mack The Knife". Thanks to you those of us who have grabbed it have something that is probably close to unique. Fantastic!

Falk, thanks for posting the pics of the non-U.S. sleeves and records. I love seeing that kind of stuff. Great!

rooster

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 - 02:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Glad you all enjoyed it, as did I! Sorry if the quality isn't the greatest. I was a bit of a Nervous Nelly cleaning it up due to the fragile nature of acetates. (I was too afraid to put it on the rcm, but maybe I should have?) I have no doubt a little more attention can get it better. Maybe when I'm feeling a little more brave.
B_big: are any of the versions you have like mine? It certainly seems like a pretty polished recording so I wouldn't be surprised if it made to some release somewhere.

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 - 01:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

JLoop, I think the quality is pretty damn good considering that were discussing a 50 year old acetate. If I were you, I would hesitate to do much more to it than you already have. I also would be very conscious of how many times I played it. Acetate recordings don't hold up very well to repeated playing. They weren't designed for it. Digitizing the record was the best thing you could have done. I sincerely thank you for your generosity.

rooster

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 - 12:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You're probably right Rooster, I shouldn't expect too much from an old acetate that probably wasn't stored too well. I know enough about acetates to know they're fragile so I recorded the one and only time I played it. I even tracked a lot lower than recommended and I'm very happy it played through without a hitch.

Cheers!

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 - 07:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Gentlemen,
Thanks for a great thread. From the original question to Rooster's fantastic response to the discussion that followed, including the cool audio download and B-Big's photos.

You guys do the RCG proud.

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2013 - 02:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Update:
Bubba Lou recently contacted me to say thanks and to offer a cleaned up version, so on behalf of him I am posting a link to the download page (for the WAV version) for your consideration. He was kind enough to also send me links to an MP3 version, but I thought I'd try and keep quality as high as I could.

Thanks Bubba Lou!

I would have responded sooner, but it's been a bit crazy the last few days. And you shouldn't worry about posting stuff like this. It may be "my" record, but it certainly ain't "my" music, it's everyone's. I'm just thankful I was able to rescue it from certain thrift store doom and was able to share it with everyone.

http://www.divshare.com/download/23694846-e53

Let m know if the link doesn't work.

Cheers,
Matthew

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2013 - 03:56 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Thanks, Matthew & Bubba Lou, for the update. the link worked fine.

rooster

B_big.Offline
26 Post subject: Everything worked fine again  PostPosted: Feb 17, 2013 - 01:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

j_loop wrote:
. . . Let m know if the link doesn't work.

Cheers,
Matthew

( ( ( ( ( (((((((
    Thanks again mates, everything went smooth. As soon as I can spare some time, I'll record the version of Louis Armstrong with The All Stars from the Philips single of 1959 which is in really strong "VG+" condition. J_loop, you can download it from my web space after I've finsihed. I'll then pm you the details.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2013 - 10:26 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

This is just something that may be of interest to those who participated in (or read) this thread the first time around. just something I came across recently.

This ad is from 1951. Of the other musicians listed in the ad, Earl Hines, Cozy Cole and Arvel Shaw were all members of Louis Armstrong's All-Stars in 1951. Mitchell "Tiny" Webb was an in demand (professional) sideman who had played and recorded with a great number of very popular artists in the R&B and Jazz fields, among them, The Ray Charles Trio, Percy Mayfield, Jay McShann, Duke Henderson, Lloyd Glenn, Earl Bostic, Lowell Fulsom, Floyd Dixon and Jimmy Witherspoon.

rooster

Velma Middleton ad.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.49 KB
 Viewed:  63 Time(s)

Velma Middleton ad.jpg

Jump to: