The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CTcollectorOffline
Post subject: Legitimate Decca Promo Sticker?  PostPosted: Feb 16, 2013 - 12:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I recently came across this on eBay - but I have never seen a promo sticker like this before. Has anyone else seen or own one, to prove its legitimacy?

HollySticker.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.76 KB
 Viewed:  2557 Time(s)

HollySticker.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Legitimate Decca Promo Sticker?  PostPosted: Feb 16, 2013 - 01:10 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I have about 2-3 thousand promo 78s in my collection. Quite a few have stickers of this sort on the labels. I can't say whether the one in the picture is 'legitimate' or not, but it does seem unlikely for someone to take the time and effort to create a phony promo sticker.

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject: RE: Legitimate Decca Promo Sticker?  PostPosted: Feb 16, 2013 - 01:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Unfortunately, I have seen phoney and/or non-era promo stickers put on labels or album covers, to cover over rips, tears, writing, etc . . . . hence my question.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Legitimate Decca Promo Sticker?  PostPosted: Feb 16, 2013 - 02:18 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Independent promoters, like (off the top of my head) Little Richie Johnson, and song publishers had their own stickers affixed to the records they pushed on DJs and PDs. I have not seen a Ken & Bob sticker before, but would think that they were Decca employees who worked the radio stations in their territory.

showbizkidOffline
Post subject: RE: Legitimate Decca Promo Sticker?  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2013 - 11:10 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I was in radio for 20 years, and saw plenty of these. Ken and Bob were likely the Decca regional reps for whatever station this was sent to.

More common than a sticker is a rubber stamp on the label, especially when it's a white (or, in the case of Decca, "light") label promo.

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Legitimate Decca Promo Sticker?  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2013 - 07:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A Promo Copy of this would also have a pink label. This black label is promo of the designate kind. The sticker is from the Decca promo team of the era.

Jump to: