The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Head Gardener
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2014 - 06:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

some sweet finds at the recycling depot this morning, on top of a nice fish tank
ornament and an old newspaper from 1912. An odd mix of Jamaican Calypso,
Jazz Blues + an unusual 78rpm - all 50p each!

Jamaican issue released on Dynamic in 1976

this could be early 70's the track Rope was a single taken from it

Blues Jazz in Quad from 1973 in a beautiful gate-fold sleeve

great sleeve for this Jazz Fusion LP from 1977

with a bit of research I discovered this dates from around 1944

a hip vicar talks about the history of Jazz from 1926 to 1952

Reply with quote Back to top
JGH1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 - 03:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yesterday I crossed another one off of my yellowing want list...The Monkees - Changes, US Colgems. It looks unplayed, no spindle marks on the label, no stylus tracks between the lead-in grooves, and it's still in shrink. That leaves only one Monkees album left on the list - Birds Bees, US Colgems mono pressing.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 - 11:02 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

JGH1 wrote:
... That leaves only one Monkees album left on the list - Birds Bees, US Colgems mono pressing.
Heh, I found a UK RCA Victor stereo copy (SF 7948) way back in Jan 1971, for $1.99 in a PX in Ft. Dix NJ ... it's the only Monkees LP that I have.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

From Sunday's record show - $31 spent, not a lot worth keeping, but I can't complain about...
The Dells - Shy Girls (Vee Jay) - DJ copy - yes, I know there's a PS... no, it wasn't on it.
Shirley Matthews - Big-Town Boy (Atlantic) - recommended by a friend - GREAT early Spector sound
Stevens & Grdnic - Exercise Till You Die (Laff) - haven't added to the Novelty box in a long time...
Underbeats - Book Of Love (Soma) - low-key 1964 cover from Minneapolis
Simms Twins - Double Portion Of Love (SAR)
Supremes - My Heart Can't Take It No More (Motown) - my copy's G+ at best, but try to find THIS one
Chuck Berry - Oh, What A Thrill (Atco)
The Naturals - Hey Fellas (Smash) - here's a hybrid: doo-wop, circa 1964, with fuzz guitar!
Shorty Long - Night Fo' Last (Soul) - I can easily find an upgrade, but for a dime, it was cool
Blackjack - Love Me Tonight (Polydor) - bought it for grins - it's rock with Michael Bolotin on vocals
One for the research pile: "The Black Lion", a 60-second plug for some clothing store (or men's clothes department of a store) - might have been a Cuca Recording Studio product based on the catalog #
One for the "why did I BUY this?!?" pile: "Mother Goose For Shabbos".

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 25, 2014 - 06:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A follow-up to my own post: "The Black Lion" was apparently a "modern" clothing department within Olson & Veerhusen (the edge of the label mentions these names), a men's clothing store in downtown, Madison, WI - although I wasn't able to find anything specific on The Black Lion, the store itself was in business for decades and the original building is a Dane County historic landmark. The catalog number of the record is "J-6582" which is suspiciously in the series of Cuca Recording Studios catalog numbers - the copyright date 1965 matches the catalog # (Cuca used the mastering dates as their catalog numbers, at least at this time, so it would've been cut on August 2, 1965) - and being that this was for a Wisconsin clothing store, I can be safe to assume this IS a Cuca product. Ain't the internet educational?

Jump to: