The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Bowie Space Oddity possible autograph.  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 - 12:19 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I picked up a copy of the 1972 reissue of David Bowies Space Oddity at a flea market yesterday.There was a faint scribble in red pen on the back that i diden't take too much notice of,I thought it was probably a previous owners signature.When i got home for a closer inspection I relaised the writing said Bowie in a distinctive signature.The guy who sold it to me never mentioned anything about it to me.I'm wondering is it genuine and can anyone familiar with Bowies sig style tell me more.I wasen't sure what catagory to post this in.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/c156.0.403.403/p403x403/374421_282125208584417_1865685264_n.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Bowie Space Oddity possible autograph.  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 - 12:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Looking at the Bowie autographs on ebay it doesn't match up, but I'm no expert.

darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Bowie Space Oddity possible autograph.  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 - 01:29 PM
Level 4
Level 4

j_loop wrote:
Looking at the Bowie autographs on ebay it doesn't match up, but I'm no expert.

I've looked up his sigs online and I've noticed they tend to vary quite a bit in style.There's one I came across here that looks kind of like the one on my record.

http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/515/027/713/david-bowie-autograph-5x3-signed-card-coa-d03c.jpg

darkdubhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 - 02:11 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Anyone know of any sites where I could find out more info?i would really love for it to be genuine as I'm a huge fan.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2013 - 02:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Without photos or an eye witness, there is no way to tell. A professional authenticator is just going to compare it to other examples (like Google image search) and make a judgement call.
If you compare it to many other examples and it feels right to you, then it's real to you. There is no way to prove that to another person. Even a certificate of authenticity can just be printed out on anyone's home printer.

darkdubhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 - 08:33 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I caught up with the guy who sold it to me.He said he got it in a second hand store in 1997 in London.He seemed to think the sig was printed.I pointed out to him that that it wasen't but he diden't seem that bothered.It seems it will remain a mystery.

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2013 - 01:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not an expert either, but my gut tells me that this one may very well be real - even though it is not a perfect match; (I have never believed in perfect matches, just in seeing basic characteristics). I have an Olivia Newton-John album that came from an estate sale many years ago - it doesn't REALLY match alot of what I have seen from her, but my gut tells me that it is the real thing - so, I hold on to it. Just my 2-cents.

Jump to: