The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
showbizkidOffline
Post subject: Careful with "resound-records"  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 - 12:50 PM
Level 3
Level 3

This is not a rant, just a warning. Back in January I found a seller named resound-records listing a large number of 60s Lps, most of them moderately desirable titles, most with decent BIN prices and listed in M- condition. His listings were mostly text, 1 photo and lots of ranting about eBay (which I suppose should have been a warning!).

Anyway, I hit the BIN for 6 titles, which were:

1961 JOHNNY BURNETTE {2nd} LP, "SELF TITLED", M-/M, {NICE LP} ( 190771860053 ) $25.00
1968 THE COWSILLS, {2nd} LP {BLK LBL}, "WE CAN FLY", M-/M-, {BB} ( 190772253418 ) $10.00
1970 THE RASCALS {7th} LP, "SEE", M-/M ( 190777180901 ) $8.00
1964, THE VENTURES {16th} LP, "VENTURES IN SPACE", M-/M- ( 190778067868 ) $12.00
1967, DUSTY SPRINGFIELD {7th} LP {ST}, "LOOK OF LOVE", M-/M- ( 200862631556 ) $10.00
1967, THE BUCKINGHAMS {1st} LP, "KIND OF A DRAG", M-/VG+, {BB} ( 200865992098 ) $12.00

When the records arrived, it was obvious that they were old used-record-store stock, from the small price labels on most of the jackets and the musty mildew smell that emanated from the package. I did a cursory inspection and found the discs dirty, but mostly straight. I set them aside and determined I would clean them thoroughly before making a determination.

Well, here's where my own stupidity comes into play. First quarter of the year is the busiest time for my business, and I did not get around to cleaning and playtesting the discs until last night - which put me outside eBay's feedback period Sad

What I found was this: In addition to the dirt and mildew, the only disc that truly lived up to its M- description was the Johnny Burnette. The Ventures Lp had radio station call letters written in Sharpie on the cover, and on one label. The Dusty had play damage and multiple hairlines. The Buckinghams was the worst, though - covered with dusty mildew, once cleaned it was revealed as VG at best with lots of scratches, three very large and very obvious.

Anyway - mea culpa. I took too long to evaluate and am now out of luck regarding any recourse. Totally my fault! But I wanted to share this so that if any of you run across this seller, you might be a bit more cautious than I was.

Reply with quote Back to top
pmccabeOffline
Post subject: RE: Careful with "resound-records"  PostPosted: Mar 12, 2013 - 10:21 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I buy eBay records like this about 20 per cent of the time, and I think the only way these crazy guys can grade Mint- on these beat up records is to close one eye and visually check it from across the street. Another Mint- record! What luck! Resounding Records, indeed.
Just saw this description yesterday- "Cover condition = Mint-, but top and bottom seams , and spine, have split open"
WTF
Its like the Monty Python skit with the deceased (no it 'tisn't!) parrot.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: