The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2013 - 04:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

the only price guide i ever used was the "canfields" classical record guide. classical was always my weakest field so i need help there. i still have the 2 volumes of canfields guides. i think they were some crazy price back in 1980 like 50 bucks each. [a lot of money at the time]

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2013 - 06:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
Just bumping this to say that I appreciate the info relayed thus far in this thread (both vinyl1 and Dave's posts were very helpful). I just found an older Living Stereo LP (Solti Venice LSC 2313) and am trying to find more info about it. Not sure if the pressing being Canadian affects the value (probably) but I will have to do some more digging to determine what I've got, I have a feeling it's not the same pressing as the $200-400 copies I see on popsike.

Sorry, being Canadian kills it dead. They had noisy vinyl and later-generation master tapes up there.

Even if it is early, $20-30 would be my guess.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2013 - 06:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
the only price guide i ever used was the "canfields" classical record guide. classical was always my weakest field so i need help there. i still have the 2 volumes of canfields guides. i think they were some crazy price back in 1980 like 50 bucks each. [a lot of money at the time]

The Canfield guide was just a printout of the records that Dave Canfield sold, and what price he sold them at. If he made a mistake and sold a $500 record for $50, then the price in the guide will be $50.

Anyway, the prices are from so long ago, everything has changed completely.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 - 08:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

vinyl1 wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:
Just bumping this to say that I appreciate the info relayed thus far in this thread (both vinyl1 and Dave's posts were very helpful). I just found an older Living Stereo LP (Solti Venice LSC 2313) and am trying to find more info about it. Not sure if the pressing being Canadian affects the value (probably) but I will have to do some more digging to determine what I've got, I have a feeling it's not the same pressing as the $200-400 copies I see on popsike.

Sorry, being Canadian kills it dead. They had noisy vinyl and later-generation master tapes up there.

Even if it is early, $20-30 would be my guess.

Thanks. I believe I stumbled upon another post you made at shadeddog where you mentioned block letters for matrices indicated later pressings (which is what mine has) along with pretty noisy vinyl (not sure if the level I'm experiencing was inherent or if it suffered years of a worn/improperly aligned stylus/cart since visually it is very nice). At least I know that I won't have to worry about passing up potentially valuable Living Stereos (most pressings of classical I see here are either Canadian or from one European country or another). Still, despite the surface noise, I was pretty impressed with how dynamic the record sounded, so I may keep an eye out for more LSs just for listening (which I suppose I already do with classical anyway; not expecting to find, nor do I have the knowledge to recognize, the big money LPs).

Thanks again for the info vinyl1.

WOFOffline
Post subject: Recording Quality  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2013 - 08:04 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I have found records from several different countries and have been impressed with some of them. Several that come to mind are a 10" Capitol from Germany and a London ffrr from England. Is the quality of recording based on country, company, time period, or series of the record? Thanks.
WOF

G.Nicolls
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 - 07:49 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have: Wagner Der Ring Des Nibelungen, DECCA D1OOD19
19 disc set, Vienna State Opera Chorus and Vienna Philharmonic,
Discs and Box with Booklets are in near mint condition.
Any idea of value??? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

jimbooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 - 04:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

G.Nicolls wrote:
Hello,

I have: Wagner Der Ring Des Nibelungen, DECCA D1OOD19
19 disc set, Vienna State Opera Chorus and Vienna Philharmonic,
Discs and Box with Booklets are in near mint condition.
Any idea of value??? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

As you can see the price varies, depends who wants it at the time, plus of course condition.
http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=ring+decca++19&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=

Jump to: