The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2013 - 06:17 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

MACKDADDYG

You hit on two important points: the people who haunt used record stores and populate the internet tend to by younger and, while they believe they have wide-ranging tastes, do not. They tend to collect certain types of post-60s rock-oriented music (often the weirderer the betterer, such things being a sure sign of hipness) and dismiss the precursors that made that music possible.

(Yeah, I know this sounds jaded, but so what . . .)

Ever since the 70s, I have been repeatedly stunned by new listeners/fans/collectors of post 60s music with absolutely NO interest in anything that came before their favorite artist. I used to wonder how Springsteen nuts could not want to be Elvis nuts if that's what Bruce was. In the 60s, the Beatles and Stones and Animals etc. fans got turned onto Holly and Berry and Hooker etc. and those older artists had their careers skyrocket.

I worked with this young guy (cool, tattoo artist, always had the cutest chicks, turned onto the best dope, etc) who played me some group (whose name escapes me) and I listened with interest. When through, I remarked that it sounded like the band had taken a copy of EXILE ON MAIN STREET into a closet and listened to it hundreds of times and then came out and recorded.

He had no idea what I was talking about because he had never heard of EXILE. In fact, the only thing he knew about the Rolling bloody Stones was--literally--a cuppla hits that get played endlessly on the few oldies stations still on the radio. That's it . . .

Back to Elvis and doowop and Tefteller: there are many collectors of da King and 50s music. They don't spend (waste?) a lot of time on the internet. They don't trust the over-grading and lack of knowledge regarding their passion that remains the hallmark of "dealers" on eBay etc. So, instead, they attend local cons and send their money to dealers like Tefteller.

But, yeas, I would assume that the number of these collectors will decline but who knows? If we applied the same logic to comic books, then Golden Age titles would be valueless today . . .

(Which brings up another point: why are young people who become record collectors so less educated about the past than comic collectors or baseball collectors or just about any other collector?) (And I have addressed this question and others before: like why do so many 14 year old comic book collectors learn the staggering intricacies of a 100 point grading system better than a 44 year old record collector learns the difference between VG+ and NM.)

Yeah, I know, this is all over-simplified, but so what. Yadda yadda and blah blah blah and hope this helps a wee bit . . .

NEAL

PS: There are still dealers out there who sell Elvis exclusively and make a very comfortable living.

PPS: Fantasy scenario: If it was possible today to rent a retail space at reasonable rates and there were used record stores run by older guys who put Elvis Buddy Chuck Flairs 5 Royales etc up on the wall and played pre-Beatles rock and roll all day long, one could go into these stores and wonder if anyone was interested in post-60s music anymore . . .

Reply with quote Back to top
CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2013 - 10:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I am not an Elvis collector, but if I find an Elvis lp in good condition for a dollar or two, I'll pick it up, just to acquaint myself with the music; (I am 51, and didn't start buying records until 1975) - but the one thing that I ALWAYS make sure to check, are copies of his last LP, 'Moody Blue' - as I am always in search of an elusive black vinyl copy.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 09:13 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

CTcollector

The only black vinyl copies of MOODY BLUE that are rare are the ones with the AFL1-2428 catalog number. A small run of these were pressed in the week or so before his death in 1977. In 1982, RCA went back to black vinyl for all subsequent pressings of the album but these had an AQL1-2428 catalog number.

Also, according to SoundScan, Elvis has sold more than 35,000,000 albums in the US since 1991. I know that they generally have the most accurate sales figures for artists, but Elvis has a special situation they do not apparently monitor: sales at the various shops around Graceland. God only knows how many pieces they have moved over that period of time.

Also, if the figures of titles like “30 #1 Hits” are an indicator, global sales are several times the SoundScan figure. So, there are still the older collectors and one would have to assume that there are newer, younger collectors coming aboard.

Finally, the values associated with many Elvis records have stabilized or gone down over the years for the obvious reason that there always were more of them than anyone realized/acknowledged (especially certain price guide guys) and the internet has made that manifest . . .
NEAL

PS: There are still “secret” Elvis collectibles, like truly Mint copies of white label promos and certain picture sleeves for the not-so-big hit singles of the mid '60s, the orange label Gold Standard 45s, and the orange label LPs on non-flexible vinyl. And, if you get into worldwide Elvis, the variations are almost endless . . .

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 12:41 PM
Level 5
Level 5

nealumphred wrote:
CTcollector

The only black vinyl copies of MOODY BLUE that are rare are the ones with the AFL1-2428 catalog number. A small run of these were pressed in the week or so before his death in 1977. In 1982, RCA went back to black vinyl for all subsequent pressings of the album but these had an AQL1-2428 catalog number.

Neal, All of my research indicates that the AFL1-2428 issues all have black labels. I recently found a copy with a tan label. Any idea what this is?

$(KGrHqN,!n0FD+OMiEWQBRLTflqFR!~~60_12.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.71 KB
 Viewed:  120 Time(s)

$(KGrHqN,!n0FD+OMiEWQBRLTflqFR!~~60_12.JPG

throwbackOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 12:57 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Could be Made in Canada.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 02:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yes, tan label copies are Canadian.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 02:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Neal,

You made some excellent points. A couple of thoughts:

1. It is weird that so many music listeners don't tend to look to the past for great music. I've never been guilty of that myself, but I tend to be challenged in a more linear way (I guess). There are lots of times where I like one record by an artist, but I don't really seek out the other stuff they did to see if I like that as well.

2. Regarding ebay, I have become more like the collectors who avoid it. I'd say that a huge majority of the sellers either don't know what they are doing, or they purposely overgrade to rip people off.

3. Interesting comparison between comic books and records. I like reading the older ones, but I couldn't grade my way out of a paper bag if I had to. I wonder if comic collectors who buy stuff on ebay have the same high percentage of overgrading that record buyers do....?

Anyway, thanks again for the input.

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 03:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yes, always buy as though the item is at least one full grade lower -- unless the condition is obvious or the seller is trusted.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 03:21 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

TW5270

First: Cool! I have never seen the brown label on that number/title before!

Second: In the wake of Elvis' death (and that "wake" lasted almost two years), RCA was never able to keep up with the demand for Presley "product." Anything lying about was used: the LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS album was available in the late '70s with two different jackets (the first of which had been officially withdrawn years earlier) and three different labels (orange, brown, black).

Third: Based on the image you submitted, copies of AFL1-2428 were pressed with the older brown label and, while yours is the first that I have seen, I am not surprised. How many were manufactured will probably never be known. This can now be listed among those secret Elvis collectibles that I mentioned. Another couple include orange label reissues of ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM (LSP-1951) and DOUBLE TROUBLE, both of which were supposedly deleted by 1969.

If you are an Elvis completist seeking out all the label variations of the second and later pressings, your work is cut out for you . . .

NEAL

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 03:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are five tan-label Canadian copies of Moody Blue on eBay right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-Moody-Blue-LP-VG-VG-Canada-RCA-AFL1-2428-/200890019711?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2ec5fa6f7f

Again, IT IS CANADIAN.
It is also COMMON.

Jump to: