The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 03:55 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

MACKDADDYG

1. I am the opposite: when a record blows me away I wanna hear EVERYTHING by that artist. Doesn't mean I will always like the other stuff. Case in point: I consider REMAIN IN LIGHT one of the great rock albums of the post-'60s. Made me go back and revisit all the earlier Talking Heads albums, each of which left me lukewarm. Even the follow-up to REMAIN was merely so-so to me. But I tried . . .

2. The plusses and minuses of eBay as an arbiter of values has been debated on this site for years. I said a loooooong time ago that eBay is the blind leading the blind. My opinion hasn't changed a whit (and I am glad that you have seen the LIGHT) . . .

3. I guess part of my statement implies that if you were to become a serious comic book collector, you would learn to grade accurately and you would learn fast. And if you were to become a seller of comic books, you would HAVE to learn accurate grading or you would NEVER survive. Such is not so among record collectors: I know many vinyl dealers who, after decades, have never learned the difference between VG+ and NM. (Does that mean they REMAIN IN DARK?) I assume you know a few yourself . . . And I do not know how the grading of comics goes on eBay. Does anyone?

NEAL

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 04:04 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

NAMRALOS

You is correct and I didn't even look at the small print on the image above or search for any info online which is unusual for me but I just got home from a long day outing and abouting and sat down and opened up this thread and responded and I made a booboo and I apologize and it's a shame it isn't a US press because then it would be more interesting but it does not take away from the rarity and collectibility of the other times that I mentioned and I gotta go now before I make another mistake . . .

NEAL

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 04:26 PM
Level 5
Level 5

nealumphred wrote:
TW5270

First: Cool! I have never seen the brown label on that number/title before!

Second: In the wake of Elvis' death (and that "wake" lasted almost two years), RCA was never able to keep up with the demand for Presley "product." Anything lying about was used: the LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS album was available in the late '70s with two different jackets (the first of which had been officially withdrawn years earlier) and three different labels (orange, brown, black).

Third: Based on the image you submitted, copies of AFL1-2428 were pressed with the older brown label and, while yours is the first that I have seen, I am not surprised. How many were manufactured will probably never be known. This can now be listed among those secret Elvis collectibles that I mentioned. Another couple include orange label reissues of ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM (LSP-1951) and DOUBLE TROUBLE, both of which were supposedly deleted by 1969.

If you are an Elvis completist seeking out all the label variations of the second and later pressings, your work is cut out for you . . .

NEAL

Neal,
Thanks for the input. I actually don't own that one yet, it is an image from an auction I was considering buying.
Namralos, thanks for your input. I don't know but did they stop printing black vinyl in Canada when he died like they did in the US? If so wouldn't that make these less than common? I don't mean to say they are rare or valuable but if they only printed for a month or so like in the US I can't imagine there are a bunch out there.

Of course I am still learning about these variations so I may be talkinf out my butt...

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 05:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

From my own estimate, the blue vinyl issue really was a "limited edition" in Canada. The blues are numbered, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESELY-LIMITED-EDITION-NUMBERED-MOODY-BLUE-ALBUM-/360274738974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item53e20c3f1e

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 - 10:47 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

TW5270

Regarding AFL1-2428: in the US, the first 250,000 were pressed on blue vinyl. Then RCA switched to black for a short run -- it is not known how many of these were pressed. And then Elvis died and RCA switched back to blue vinyl for the next several million copies.

In 1980, the catalog number's prefix was changed to AQL but the record remained blue. In 1982, it switched to black.

Most common is the blue AFL pressing followed by the blue AQL. Fewer copies were pressed of the black AQL because CDs were just around the corner. The black AFL pressings remain rather rare.

Hope this helps a wee bit,

NEAL

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2013 - 07:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Information like that is great to know, but it also reminds me how thankful I am that I don't collect Elvis on a serious level. Whew!!!

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2013 - 05:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A very limited number of copies of the AFL1 issue of Moody Blue appear on either green, gold, or red vinyl. Those copies were probably unauthorized records made by RCA Victor employees in the factory. The known copies also have a small dot in the upper right corner of the front cover identifying the color of the record inside.

A regular collector doesn't need to worry about getting these, since they weren't readily available, but a fanatic or completist will certainly want one copy in each color.

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 09:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I bought my black vinyl AFL copy several years ago, for about $250. The same dealer, (Craig Moerer, I think) also had a white vinyl copy, but it was WAY out of my price range at about $2,000. I recall once reading that the other colors were all VERY, VERY RARE promo issues - but I don't remember exactly where I got that information from..

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 05:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That's correct. It DOES exist in white!
http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/270666500946/Elvis_Presley__Moody_Blue_White_Vinyl_LP_VERY_RARE

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2014 - 06:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I know I'm belatedly jumping into this, but I wanted to add my take on this:
As of 2006, the last year I worked for a record store, Elvis was pretty much a poor seller. Although I had an opportunity to hold in my mitts a NM "Mystery Train" on Sun, anything else the guy had for sale was a pretty tough sell. Only a few years later, another dealer had no qualms about selling even VG original Elvis singles from the mid- and late-50's for 50 cents - I even scored a couple picture sleeves that way. At a Goodwill a couple years ago, an original "Hound Dog" PS in VG++ turned up in a bin - nobody else but me blinked. Around that same year, I was the only one who thought to snatch up a set of 1956-era "Sun Session" releases on RCA (the ones pressed pre-"Heartbreak Hotel", or roughly around that time) for $2.50 each (all were easily VG++) - but, hey, I needed the upgrades. This is all besides seeing the obligatory beat-to-shreds "Blue Hawaii" for $15 or some overpriced Camden release. Personally, Elvis was a little past my time and I don't go way out of my way to snatch up his every release.

Jump to: