The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
heyjoeOffline
Post subject: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some rights?  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2013 - 10:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Here's the backstory. I bidder in France wins my item on 3/17. He contacts me 3/18 saying his credit card has been stolen and it will take 10 days to pay--he will pay 3/29.
I say OK. Of course no payment on 3/29. I request cancellation on 3/30 because I have 2nd chance buyers in the US. He denies cancellation on 3/31 saying he will pay 4/4. So he's strung me out 10 days and now an additional 5 days. I have opened an unpaid item on him because IT'S STILL UNPAID!

Here's the way I see this playing out. He will pay and I will ship. Because it's a low value item I don't usually go for trackable shipping. He will say item not received and I will lose. Any way out of this?

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some rights?  PostPosted: Mar 31, 2013 - 10:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In a situation like that, I'd call Ebay and explain that the proposed payment exceeds your acceptable time limit, that you're selling immediately to the 2d highest bidder, and that you'd like your call to be noted on their records. Then I'd contact the 2d highest bidder, see if he wants it, and sell it to him if he does. I'd then write the Frenchmen, tell him he took too long to pay and that the item is gone; if he pays anyway, refund him, if he leaves bad feedback, contact Ebay and get it removed.

cdhumistonOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some right  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2013 - 10:02 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Sellers lost most of their rights when eBay went corporate and the rest when they stopped allowing negative feedback on buyers. It's a dicey game nowadays, but I still play it too. I agree with selling to the 2nd highest bidder, the length of time taking to pay and the excuses is a sure indication of a trouble deal...

Chris

PaceyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some right  PostPosted: Jul 23, 2013 - 06:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm with hrtshpdbox. I'm sure you can cancel a buyer's bid after a set period of time I'd say between 4-7 days was acceptable. Quite frankly if someone has a lame excuse like their credit card was stolen I'd immediately be suspicious and start cancellation proceedings as soon as possible... Good luck!

heyjoeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some right  PostPosted: Jul 23, 2013 - 03:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This was a few months back but turned out OK--he finally paid, got the item and actually left positive feedback...so I'm over it!

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some right  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2013 - 08:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I sold a record on Christmas eve,never heard a word from the buyer,but did see feedback on her that said unpaid,costly gamechanger best to avoid,but was hoping that was a onetime thing and that the buyer would pay.
I didn`t give a time limit to pay in my listing what should I do,should I wait a few more days and do a second chance offer,which is what I`d like to do.
But it has only been 2 days,I myself when I buy on Ebay,I either pay right away or next day,if I don`t pay right away I will contact seller to explain I`m bidding on other items.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some r  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2013 - 11:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

StephenMacLeod wrote:
I sold a record on Christmas eve,never heard a word from the buyer,but did see feedback on her that said unpaid,costly gamechanger best to avoid,but was hoping that was a onetime thing and that the buyer would pay.

Maybe she will, she bought it less than two days ago.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have some r  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2013 - 12:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
StephenMacLeod wrote:

Maybe she will, she bought it less than two days ago.

I know that but no response whatsoever.Thought I`d hear something.
Myself I pay right away and respond.
Hope she does pay.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have so  PostPosted: Dec 30, 2013 - 04:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Almost a week later and still not a peep.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Unpaid Ebay item..when does a seller have so  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2014 - 05:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

She never paid or contacted,just had another buyer who after 2 never contacted or anything,it was only for a $9.99 record,no other bidders,how long should I wait to cancel sale and relist.Thanks.

Jump to: