The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DougMacOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 08:24 AM
Level 2
Level 2

AudioGasoline wrote:
The little info I've found on the repros talk about the back surface having a bubbly appearance; the originals should look kind of smoothish on the back, and sometimes with light straight striations (similar in appearance to the circular striations on the back of one-sided Victrola discs).

Thanks for your additional posts with great information.

I looked at the disc over the weekend and now I'm thinking it may not be a repro. The back is not bubbly like the photos I've seen and it has the straight striations you mention. I'm going to post a photo soon.

Doug

Reply with quote Back to top
wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2013 - 11:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

[quote="DougMac"]
AudioGasoline wrote:
CactusCowboy wrote:
One of my top 3 scores of all time, so far. Cool

Tell me about the other two!

I'll share one of my scores. I was in an antique store in Arkansas. There wasn't much I was interested in, and their prices were no bargains. I looked over at a table and there was a stack of 50 or so 78's. The first five or so were the typical 78's you see, Bing Crosby and the like. Then I ran into a Paramount label, then a Clara Smith, then a Bessie Smith, then an early Louis Armstrong. I kept digging and ran across "Black Snake Moan". They were all in pristine condition.

I tried not to hyperventilate and ambled up to the old gent behind the counter. "How much are your 78s?" He replied: "Them with the blue labels are one dollar. The rest are 75 cents. I went back and picked up the entire stack (minus the Bing Crosby duplicates). I laid down my cash and walked out with the best score I've had so far.

I hate to hold a pin near your bubble, but did you know that some Paramounts were (legally) reissued in the 1940s? I found this out when I scored an Alice Moore on Paramount for only a couple bucks and it wasn't until years later that I found out that someone got hold of the original masters and reproduced them - the difference is the "lead-in" groove at the edge of the record - original Paramounts don't have them. At least mine wasn't sold AS an original but I thought the price was darn good. I don't doubt you may have scored originals, but I wanted to stick in my 1/50 of a dollar as an FYI.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: