The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AudioGasoline
Post subject: Open the search function to non-members?  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 - 11:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I thought it might be a nice touch to open the forum search function so that login is not required. It would allow non-members to search directly within RCG instead of getting random hits returned through a search engine (which is getting less reliable as Google continues to re-vamp its business model). I'm thinking mainly about the benefit to researchers, and the vast amount of accumulated knowledge stored in these threads. As a person who does a lot of online research myself, other fan/collector/enthusiast forums with open search capabilities have been an incredible resource, and sometimes the only source of necessary information. I feel like an open Search adds credibility to a site, and presents them as a trustworthy source of hard to find information. I think opening our Search would be a nice gesture of good will, a boost to RCG's already great reputation, and could lead to more active members than the current members-only Search.

Perhaps some boards should remain members-only, such as the sections on "Special Notices" or "Feedback", since they are geared toward only members anyway. But that's something for the Admins to decide.

(Thanks to other open-search forums for inspiring this suggestion: Talking Machine Forum, GaragePunk Hideout, VinylEngine, AbsolutePunk.net, AVS, RockForums, BeattleLinks, MusicDiscussion, MusicBanter and more)

Reply with quote Back to top
Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Open the search function to non-members?  PostPosted: Apr 14, 2013 - 02:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Agreed.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: