The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 - 05:46 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I picked up this record in a charity shop the other day.Its Rudolf Kempe conducting The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra playing Kodaly :Suite Hary Janos .Tchaikovsky Theme And Variations From Suite No 3 and Gotovac Kolo from Ero Der Schelm.Its on the World Record Club Limited T 763.Looking up on Popsike a lot of LPs featuring Kempe fetch high prices.I can't find out any info on this one though.Anyone know if its collectable or sought after?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/61539_304419723021632_1648070645_n.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 - 09:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It is some sort of EMI recording that was issued in the US on Angel.

I found the WRC press on a dealer's list for 10, but that is his bottom price for anything he sells. I would say $5-10 in the US is a realistic price to actually make a sale, if you could ever find anyone who wanted it.

darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 - 10:00 AM
Level 4
Level 4

vinyl1 wrote:
It is some sort of EMI recording that was issued in the US on Angel.

I found the WRC press on a dealer's list for 10, but that is his bottom price for anything he sells. I would say $5-10 in the US is a realistic price to actually make a sale, if you could ever find anyone who wanted it.

Ok thanks.Not to mind.I'll hang onto it,i really like the cover thats what drew me to to it in the first place.

frankw
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 - 07:57 AM
Level 4
Level 4

If it's the mono version (T763) instead of the stereo (ST763: EMI were still dual inventory for WRC issues through 1968) then scarcely worth 'pennies'.

However, the re-cut stereo matrices are very good (the 1962 stereo was allegedly very poorly done.. HMV: ASD 494).
The earliest pressing of this reissue will have a red label/silver print/stroboscope: matrices; dash 5/3 - with 'KT' near the centre hole indicating a pre-April 1968 pressing.

So, it's an 'undiscovered' audiophile LP - but the sleeve condition should be far cleaner (suggest you remove the grime with Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol) dabbed onto some tissue-paper).

darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,  PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 - 05:53 PM
Level 4
Level 4

frankw wrote:
If it's the mono version (T763) instead of the stereo (ST763: EMI were still dual inventory for WRC issues through 1968) then scarcely worth 'pennies'.

However, the re-cut stereo matrices are very good (the 1962 stereo was allegedly very poorly done.. HMV: ASD 494).
The earliest pressing of this reissue will have a red label/silver print/stroboscope: matrices; dash 5/3 - with 'KT' near the centre hole indicating a pre-April 1968 pressing.

So, it's an 'undiscovered' audiophile LP - but the sleeve condition should be far cleaner (suggest you remove the grime with Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol) dabbed onto some tissue-paper).

I'm not sure what You mean by matrices but everything else You describe matches,The red/silver sleeve and KT near the center hole plus the number T763.

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchest  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2013 - 03:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And this is a great quality version of this recording, either mono or Stereo. The Stereo on WRC is superior to the 1962 EMI ASD original mastering, which was a letdown big time.

frankw
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2013 - 03:03 PM
Level 4
Level 4

The (chinese?) buyer who's just acquired ASD 494 (in less than mint condition) for nearly 125 maybe thinks that's a bargain?
But you need to be very knowledgeable re: early stereos (EMI before 1964/5); with re-cuts, before that date, also being quite inconsistent.

ALP 1974 (the mono version of ASD 525: Vienna PO on Holiday / Kempe) has extremely nice sound.

Jump to: