The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Generic_LadOffline
Post subject: Transfering Federal-Perma Disk? And other old records  PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 11:03 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I recently bought a large lot of antique records at a garage sale for $5, there were multiple Victor records, some obscure labels from the 1920s and a Federal Perma-Disk. Now I know nothing about records (I was going to use them to hang up in my dorm room for wall decoration until I realized how old they were!) but I Googled the Federal Perma-Disk and it seems like its an incredibly fragile format, mine has some stuff coming off on the sides, but the actual record part seems to be basically intact.

The label says König Karl Marsch Sep 4-44

This is a smaller record, about 9 and 3/4ths inches.

My questions are:

1) Is it worth buying equipment to transfer this to a digital format since these records are so fragile?

2) What equipment would I get?

I also have a larger record that is recorded like the Perma-Disk but it literally is in 3+ pieces (the smaller piece is getting to where its broken in 2 pieces, and no, it wasn't me who broke them Razz ) I'm assuming this one is pretty much a lost cause?

Anyone got any advice?

Reply with quote Back to top
geo58000Offline
Post subject: RE: Transfering Federal-Perma Disk? And other old records  PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 02:21 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Hi - The first thing you might want to do is find out what the content of the disc is..typically, these discs contain speeches, or "audio letters";
(and since this dates from WW2, there might be some historical interest in this disc) - or it might be Uncle Karl at the piano after a few pints.
They are usually not worth much, though, so you may want to find someone who has a record player that will play a 78 rpm record.
Your Audiodisc will make a dandy wall hanging after gluing it back together.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Transfering Federal-Perma Disk? And other old records  PostPosted: May 19, 2013 - 04:22 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

1) Is it worth buying equipment to transfer this to a digital format since these records are so fragile?

Not in any way. You simply don't have the knowledge and experience to use such stuff to its best advantage and there's no way you would see any return on the investment. This rather makes question two redundant Smile .

If you really want a decent transfer/restoration, find someone who is already established in the business and pay them to do it for you - I guarantee it will be both cheaper and better than you will ever achieve by yourself.

The broken record might be a lost cause, but the breaks look clean and it's just possible that a decent transfer could be made. Again, you need someone who really understands all this stuff to make a proper appraisal.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Transfering Federal-Perma Disk? And other old records  PostPosted: May 19, 2013 - 11:06 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Agreed. Doing transfers from 78s and homemade discs requires specialized equipment, restoration skills and experience. There's no way you can justify the time and expense to do this on your own for a handful of discs you picked up at a yard sale. Then there's the question of what the recordings actually are. They could be poorly done dubs from radio broadcasts or as suggested "Uncle Karl at the piano after a few pints." I've transferred many of this sort of disc for customers and they're invariably of little to no historical significance and of interest and value primarily to family members with connections to the folks who made the discs 60-70 years ago.

PerisphereOffline
Post subject: RE: Transfering Federal-Perma Disk? And other old records  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2013 - 08:24 PM
Level 2
Level 2

The only explanation for that Audiodisc lacquer being broken is that it is a glass base disc. The aluminium or steel used in producing lacquer discs before (and after) the war was needed for other things for the 'duration' so glass came into use for some time.

Jump to: