The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JorgeSOffline
Post subject: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 ebay sale  PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 03:20 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I'm a newbie to the forum but I've been lurking for months soaking up all I can about the ins & outs of record collecting & selling. If this were a radio show, I'd be a long time listener, first time caller...

My question is as a long-time DJ I have a ton of vinyl I'm planning to someday sell on ebay. I've kept hundreds of hip hop 12 inches & even some sealed albums from the mid 90's to 2007 and I was wondering how I should grade unplayed/unsealed promotional 12 inch vinyl?

From reading the goldmine standard grading scale posted on this site I will surely be looking for imperfections on the sleeves (ring wear/promo cuts/etc) to make sure those are graded properly, but what about the vinyl itself? Are they all VG+ because they're unsealed or would they be closer to NM or NM- ? Also, would unsealed/unplayed still be classified as USED or would they be NEW wax?

Thank you.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 ebay s  PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 04:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A truly sealed record (meaning that it wasn't opened, played, and re-sealed) is the epitome of Mint. Nothing has touched those precious grooves, so that's as pure as it can get.

The only problem is, if it's sealed, the buyer doesn't know for sure if there are any problems, such as a warped or cracked record.

But, since some stuff goes for premium prices in sealed condition, that may not be much of an issue. So, I guess what I'm saying is a sealed record would qualify as Mint if it has been properly stored over the years.

Also, welcome to the Guild. There are lots of folks here with plenty of useful knowledge.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 ebay s  PostPosted: May 18, 2013 - 05:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just something to save you time when you eventually do list: I would only bother grading the sleeve if it's actually unique to the record (i.e. an actual sleeve with art on it). If it's a plain jacket (often with a hole in the center to read the label) it would probably be enough to just list that it has a jacket - I doubt collectors would care about the condition of them. Not sure how fussy collectors are if the sleeve came in a plain jacket but with a sticker affixed. I've got a mix of the three I just listed when it comes to my hiphop/rnb 12" singles.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 ebay s  PostPosted: May 19, 2013 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just to clarify, when you say "unsealed" you mean open, right?
If yes, then:

Yes I would call them "used." It doesn't matter if you know it's never been played, if it's open it's used. To look at it another way, pretty much any potential buyer will assume it's used anyway.
But opened doesn't automatically mean VG+ as you suggest. Plenty of opened records are NM. You just need to inspect and grade them.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 ebay s  PostPosted: May 19, 2013 - 05:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You know, after reading j loop's post, I realized that I'm a moron. I misread your post to mean you were asking about grading sealed records.

Sorry about that. What j loop says sounds perfect. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go learn how to read.

JorgeSOffline
Post subject: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 ebay s  PostPosted: May 19, 2013 - 11:31 PM
Level 1
Level 1

so to J Loop's point, yes unsealed meaning open but unplayed.

So, I shouldn't assume just because its never been played that its a perfect record? I guess I assumed, heck I never played it so it must be NM at the very least. I will post them as used and inspect them as well so they can be graded fairly

would listing a record as "unplayed vinyl" make any sense, because as you say a buyer could think its just used

and yes mackdaddyg, although you were off point, I did take a lot from your reply so thank you

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 eb  PostPosted: May 20, 2013 - 10:55 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

JorgeS wrote:
so to J Loop's point, yes unsealed meaning open but unplayed.

So, I shouldn't assume just because its never been played that its a perfect record? I guess I assumed, heck I never played it so it must be NM at the very least. I will post them as used and inspect them as well so they can be graded fairly

would listing a record as "unplayed vinyl" make any sense, because as you say a buyer could think its just used

and yes mackdaddyg, although you were off point, I did take a lot from your reply so thank you

Welcome to the RCG.

I would not assume that an unplayed record is perfect or NM. The only way to know for sure is to play it. I've bought my share of new records that have audible pressing flaws or are mis-pressings.

Unless you're going to play-grade these records, perhaps the best description would be: "unsealed/unplayed Promo, visually graded NM."

ShadySamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Help grading unplayed promotional 12 inch vinyl 4 eb  PostPosted: May 21, 2013 - 05:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CactusCowboy wrote:
I've bought my share of new records that have audible pressing flaws or are mis-pressings.

Luckily, it's only happened a handful of times to me, but i will have to agree w/Cactus-
the main & only issues i've encountered thus far are those pesky pimples in the wax, & warps. rare but does happen

JorgeSOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2013 - 01:29 AM
Level 1
Level 1

great info. as always with this site I've learned a lot.

thanks to you all for being so welcoming and helping with my inquiry

gregforneOffline
Post subject: grading unplayed promotional records  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2013 - 07:45 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I am curious now, if someone is buying an unopened record I would think that they wouldn't have intention to open the record. With that being written, wouldn't it not necessarily matter if there were pressing flaws or pimples on the vinyl?

Also would a mis pressing be valuable anyway?

Jump to: