The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WOFOffline
Post subject: BB King  PostPosted: May 22, 2013 - 10:57 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Last night I attended the BB King concert in Bismarck, ND. BB is showing his age at 87, but his voice was as good as ever and so were his guitar licks. The bad part of the concert was the sound operator. Either he is totally deaf, or doesn't understand the concept that the lead or the soloist should stand out. BB has a great horn section backing him but on their solos they were overwhelmed by the drum, bass, or even BB's backing riffs. In general the bass and drums were way too strong. I am glad that I did see him. Probably will never have the chance again.

Reply with quote Back to top
ZeppelinHunterOffline
Post subject: RE: BB King  PostPosted: May 25, 2013 - 08:54 PM
Level 3
Level 3

I saw him in Fort Worth in February of last year, and I agree that he still sounds great. On the day of the show, a front row center seat became available, so naturally I snagged it. That paid off in several ways: not only was I really close to him, but I was able to grab some of the swag that he threw into the crowd. The house speakers were also pointed back and away from where I was sitting, so I didn't experience any poor sound. His backing band is absolutely terrific.

I really have to admire the fact that he knows how to work with his age. Although his voice is strong, his playing is selective, so he sounds good throughout the show. I wish Chuck Berry would learn from his example. I also saw Berry last year in Fort Worth, and that was embarrassing. Even though he's about the same age as King, he really works against his age with disastrous results: he forgets lyrics, which song was just played, the notes to songs, etc. I felt bad for the guy when people started walking out. Ugh.

TimJOffline
Post subject: RE: BB King  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2013 - 08:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I saw BB open for Loggins & Messina in December of '72. The San Diego Sports arena was less than 1/2 sold out and it was open seating (gawd, I miss those days.) Both acts sounded great, but BB's on stage persona (and his relationship with Lucile) is something I remember to this day.

Jump to: