The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RockyOffline
Post subject: Slightly confused  PostPosted: Jun 02, 2013 - 11:07 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for any info and insight you may have and forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. Unfortunately our son passed away recently and we inherited his record collection, around 300. Probably a miniscule amount by most of your standards but sure a lot for us. Most of them are in fair to good condition. . I am visually grading them and their jackets and listening to some to make sure they play ok and then just going to put them on Ebay signally or in groups depending on their condition. Will also wash and or wipe down any that appear to have any bong water or whatever spilled on them.

I have been going here http://www.vinylrecordfair.com/price-vinyl-records.html to look up the matrix numbers and have been to the library a couple of times to look at some price guides but I have ran across a few records that I cannot locate either online or in a guide and Iím afraid itís my ignorance that is probably holding me back.

So I guess my question is, is there another resource where I can look up numbers? Or should I just throw em up on Ebay and see how they sell? I also have a couple of records that have no number on the runout but there is one on the label or, the number on the label does not match the one on the runout. Or (again) I can find the name of the artist but the number on the label and runout does not match. Very confusing for me lol. We really have no interest in keeping any of them. I have about 10 or 15 that I was not able to locate any info on(line). Also, what is the number in parentheses that is under or sometimes opposite the matrix number? Example: The Kinks: The Kink Kronikles
2XS 6454
(31,370)
Would that be the number of pressings made by chance? Thanks again for any input.

Ron

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Slightly confused  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 - 06:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Ron,

Sorry about your loss.

I'm going to assume you're talking about LPs, not 45s. I may be wrong, but in general I don't think that matrix numbers are a key identification indicator for more modern rock LPs (like the Kinks and Monkees); pressing info is generally recognizable from things like the catalog number on the cover, cover design, label color and label design.

If you're really going to take the time to list them on Ebay, pictures and a description should do the trick; any collectors with questions will write you and ask. With good photos of the cover and label, and an honest attempt to grade them accurately, I don't think you'll stand much of a chance of giving away a treasure for nothing. Use a high enough starting bid so that you won't feel deflated if that's all it goes for, but don't shoot too high - you want to get bidders in the game. Good luck.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Slightly confused  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 - 07:18 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Rocky wrote:
... Also, what is the number in parentheses that is under or sometimes opposite the matrix number? Example: The Kinks: The Kink Kronikles
2XS 6454
(31,370)
Would that be the number of pressings made by chance?
The number, 2XS 6454, is the record number (or catalog number) for this 2-LP set.

"Matrix numbers" are normally assigned at the time a lacquer master disk is cut, which is the first step in the process of record manufacture. The master disk represents one side of a record, so there are two matrix numbers per (2-sided) record. The number (31,370) is the matrix number assigned to one of the sides of your Kinks Kronikles 2-LP set; each of the other three sides has its own matrix number ... for US-issue Warner/Reprise albums, these numbers are usually sequential.

The matrix number has nothing to do with the number of pressings, which in any case would have been unknown at the time of manufacture.

RockyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Slightly confused  PostPosted: Jun 07, 2013 - 11:33 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanx for the feed back. I will try to describe them accurately and take photos so people will know exactly what they are getting. I am assuming a lot of these wont sell and if thats the case I will group some together and if they still don't sell they will get donated.

Jump to: