The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GraemeOffline
Post subject: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 05:21 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I have used a 50x microscope for years to inspect groove damage. Originally, it had an incandescent lamp for illumination and a couple of years ago, I did an LED conversion, which made it a lot better - mainly because it was more white than yellow.

Out of curiosity and because it was so cheap, I recently purchased a 60x magnifier from eBay, with both white and ultraviolet LED illumination. What little gem and for virtually no money Smile . It knocks the socks off my existing tool and I'd recommend one to anyone needing to do this sort of work.

The UV is a bonus, as it allows you to check banknotes for forgeries (which I believe is its actual purpose) but even without this feature, it's still worth every penny.

eBay Item #251263271445

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 06:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Graeme wrote:
... The UV is a bonus, as it allows you to check ....
Is it LW or SW UV? Philatelists have used UV lamps since post offices began tagging postage stamps with luminescent dyes. Some of these tagged stamps respond to long-wave UV while other respond to short-wave UV. Also, there are vinyl formulations used for record manufacture that are luminescent under UV ... I expect that this is mostly unintentional.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 07:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

Is it LW or SW UV?

Search me - I didn't pursue it, because I had no real interest. All I can tell you is that it shows up the invisible inks on Euro notes very clearly.

TTBOMK, the fluorescent vinyl formulations were by accident, not design.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 12:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Interesting. What was the shipping cost? It would probably be a bit more to the states, but just curious.
Also what do you use to fix the groove damage?
Not that I have much use for one, but a good "loose" microscope always seems useful.
Does it work well for checking styli?

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 01:42 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

1 - Shipping is free, worldwide.

2 - Depends on what form the damage takes. I've used everything from wax pencils, through toothpicks, to steel needles. The best advice is "don't try this at home".

3 - I would imagine it would quite good for checking styli, although I haven't tried that yet. The difficult part (which is true for any high magnification microscope) is the depth of field is limited, so it can be a bit tricky to position the stylus properly and hold it there. I use one of those multi-armed gadgets, they sell for modellers and electronics assembly, to hold everything in place. Works for me. Thinking about it, it would probably work better using this device than my old one, as it is both smaller and lighter.

alfeizarOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 05:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

That is a very tempting price. Can it be used for vieweing a stylus tip also or more zoom would be needed?

This link was posted a couple days ago at the SH board, have you ever tried something like this Greame?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bring-Ruined-Records-Back-to-Life/

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 07:04 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Since my last post, I used it to look at a couple of stylii - works well in my little multi-armed vice. Believe me, you don't have to have much of a tremor in your hands to make it totally useless as a handheld device.

Actually, 60x is probably a bit overkill - 30x would be adequate - but it's still a very useful and cheap device for what it will show you. The super-bright illumination, directed exactly where you need it, is the major advantage.

Quote:

have you ever tried something like this Greame?

NO I HAVEN'T - and I trust nobody else here will.

This guy has some strange notions about the way records work. If you hear a 'tick' as the stylus passes through a scratch, then the damage is on one or both of the groove walls. No amount of cleaning is going to repair the damage. More to the point, neither is polishing the lands going to cure the fault, it will just look better - the groove wall is still just as damaged. Some years ago, there was a German company that did this trick of land polishing on old/crappy records, which they then sold as being is good condition - and they were, visually. However, playing them told a different story altogether!!

Quite honestly, the only practical solution is a good clean, a transfer into the digital domain, followed by some fancy work using dedicated restoration software.

alfeizarOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Inspecting groove damage  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 - 07:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Nice, thanks for the answer

Jump to: