The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jazzy0325Offline
Post subject: Grading 45's  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2013 - 11:57 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I'm trying to catalog and then sell a collection of records that belonged to my brother and me. I have approx 300 45's (mostly single play, some EP). I believe from what I've read thus far that in grading a record both the actual record and the sleeve/jacket are rated. Is this correct?

About 1/2 of the 45's don't have any sleeve at all. They were carefully stored, so most of them are VG to VG+ condition of the record. How do I rate these since they have no sleeve? And how do I rate ones that have a plain white "generic" replacement sleeve?

Any/all guidance on these question will be greatly appreciated.

Reply with quote Back to top
Pgh GuyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 - 06:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey Jazzy0325,

I would get white generic sleeves for the records without sleeves....Grade all the records the same and put a notation *(white generic sleeves)....The rest of the picture sleeves and records are graded the same but are listed separately...IE - *(notation sleeve 1st/vinyl 2nd) VG+/NM or NM/VG ....Don't make it difficult, the important part is the grading accuracy....

Have fun and enjoy the music...

Pgh Guy
John G Cool

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: Grading 45's  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 - 07:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jazzy0325 wrote:
Hello - I'm trying to catalog and then sell a collection of records that belonged to my brother and me. I have approx 300 45's (mostly single play, some EP). I believe from what I've read thus far that in grading a record both the actual record and the sleeve/jacket are rated. Is this correct?

My guess is when it comes to 45s, if it's a generic sleeve, you don't really have to worry about grading it. That would apply more towards a picture sleeve, although there are some company sleeves that are fairly hard to find.

Still, if it's not a picture sleeve, I wouldn't worry about grading it unless it's really torn up.

Otherwise, what Pgh Guy said is spot on and sounds like a great idea.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 - 08:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Forget about grading sleeves - just grade the vinyl, and note if there's any label problems. If it's a picture sleeve or an unusual company sleeve, mention any tears or seam splits or stickers or writing or excessive wrinkling. And, as Pgy Guy says, get the unsleeved ones into some sort of sleeves before trying to sell them.

Jump to: