The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
brianbOffline
Post subject: Black Flag My War re-issue  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2013 - 09:55 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I just picked up a Black Flag My War re-issue and wondering others experience with SST re-issues. I know there are general discussions about quality of re-issues, but wondering specifically of SST re-issues compared to original.

What stuck me when listening to my new album is the volume. I had to turn it way up past "normal" listening levels to hear the album.
Is this normal for re-issues from SST in general? Is it the same for original copies?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Black Flag My War re-issue  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2013 - 01:58 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

My copy of "My War" was bought new back in 83 or 84. It does tend towards lower volume with a bit of a muffled quality due to hum, and yes, I have to turn it up a bit compared to other records. So it's far from being an "audiophile" recording, but nothing unusual given that SST was a small independent label working on tight budgets at the time.

I have a lot of early SST releases bought in the '80s and a lot of newer pressings (of older releases) bought in the past few years. I can't hear any notable difference in quality. I get the impression these are simply newer pressings and not remastered 'reissue' projects. But I could be wrong.

I read somewhere on the internet (don't know if it's true) that older SST pressings had 'funny messages' scribed in the deadwax and reissue or later pressings did not. My copy of "My War" has the following in the deadwax:

Side A: Exploring The Inside Of Empty Guns
Side B: Looking For The Markings Of Rifled Thoughts. Is That It Then?

brianbOffline
Post subject: RE: Black Flag My War re-issue  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2013 - 05:23 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the response. It helps to know what to expect so I can make my choice on early or reissue shopping.

I had seen some similar list of the deadwax marking listed in Discogs. I will have to take a look at the re-issue and see whats there

ManimalOffline
Post subject: RE: Black Flag My War re-issue  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2013 - 10:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have both old and new SST pressings. I have been a fan since the early days.

The quality has not changed over the years.

brianbOffline
Post subject: RE: Black Flag My War re-issue  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 - 09:51 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I checked the Matrix in the deadwax and there are no cryptic messages or phrases, just your standard numbers.

Dr.DarkOffline
Post subject: RE: Black Flag My War re-issue  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2013 - 04:31 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Pity, the SST reissues are simple copies of the originals. But that is the easiest way to make money with these records once more.
I guess most of us would immediately open their purses for expanded double LP or CD reissues including alternate takes, unissued songs, live recordings etc. etc (drool!).

Jump to: