The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How much money have you spent on one record?
$0-1000
84%
 84%  [ 21 ]
$1000-2000
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
$2000-3000
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
$3000-4000
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
$4000-5000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$5000-10000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$10000-...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

FredrikOffline
Post subject: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2013 - 07:48 PM
Level 2
Level 2

This should be interesting... My top item cost me $3600. It is an original 1st pressing of Sonny Clarks' Cool Struttin' (BLP 1588). Feel free to add what album cost you the most as well..

Reply with quote Back to top
j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 11:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It will certainly be interesting to see how many people break the first tier. I definitely didn't and don't see myself doing so in the foreseeable future, but a music hound can dream right....?

anthonyvpOffline
Post subject: RE: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 02:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

LPs high end is 2.99 but my average would be 0.75 each. 45 rpm records = about 0.20

PaceyOffline
Post subject: RE: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 04:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I don't buy beyond 50, and I don't keep anything worth over 200!

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 - 08:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Overpaid for a scarce east New Mexico doo wop record... $140? Only time I've ever cracked the century mark on a single record.

FredrikOffline
Post subject: RE: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 - 11:06 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hm, I follow for example jazzcollector.com, ebay, popsike and see so many records sell for huge amounts every day. Maybe these collectors just aren't members here... well, we'll see if anyone breaks the $1000 mark at least... High end jazz collectibles costs a lot. And, I mean look at all the scarce rockabilly and blues stuff on 45's and rock records like The Beatles 1st pressings and so on that sell for thousands of dollars. I'm surprised there aren't any cats collecting these kind of high-end, high-priced records here or maybe they just haven't seen the poll yet.

PaceyOffline
Post subject: RE: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 - 05:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

In my experience, I've not yet met one of these people who pay thousands for records on a regular basis. I don't believe these people are actually collectors in the sense we are, here on this board. They're more likely bankers and the like who have a lot of disposable income and who are either buying as investment pieces and/or as nostalgia for their youth. That's not to say all are middle aged (there are plenty of recent releases by modern bands that have quickly become huge collectors' items), but rather 'collectors' like us dig around and over the years find rare records for a couple of pounds. There are many different types of collector, but I think the vast majority of those of us here are of the digging variety who spend the few pounds left over of our monthly wage not just on buying records, but on *hunting* them, knowing that today you might find that 500 record that you would never buy otherwise Wink If I had a spare thousand every month I'd have a dealer I'd call up to get me the records I wanted!

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 - 05:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Fredrik wrote:
My top item cost me $3600.

That's gotta be the top paid amount for this board (or most any other). If there was a "how much money have you sold a record for", and the categories were, say, 0-500, 500-1000, 1000-1500, and 1500+, then I think you'd get answers that weren't all in the first choice offered.

Edit: For instance, if I'm not mistaken a member here sold this:
http://www.popsike.com/DA-Hunt-Greyhound-Blues-Original-Sun-183-45-RPM/360174549139.html

I'm pretty sure he paid something like a dollar for it.

Edit 2: Yep, found it:

http://recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=53958&highlight=hunt+sun

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 - 06:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I've done trading with $1000 records,but have never paid that much for one yet. It's finding that rare record for cheap that makes it fun.

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 - 10:51 PM

I know someone who paid $5000.00 for a very rare privately pressed lp that's still sealed.
I paid $700.00 for a very rare privately pressed lp,rarely offered for sale,only 300 copies pressed.

Jump to: