The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How much money have you spent on one record?
$0-1000
84%
 84%  [ 21 ]
$1000-2000
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
$2000-3000
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
$3000-4000
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
$4000-5000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$5000-10000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$10000-...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

FredrikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2013 - 12:07 PM
Level 2
Level 2

If you're not satisfied with anything less than an original first pressing in M-/M- condition of a jazz holy grail on for example Blue Note (you only buy 1st pressings period) you've gotta cough up some serious dough if you're not going to settle for a later pressing. There's no shortcuts. You're not gonna find them all in flea markets. That's just not gonna happen. If you want a couple of hundred high-end jazz collectibles for example you have got to spend some money. There's no soul in the second pressings or later pressings I feel. It's got to be the first pressing for me. In nice collectible condition. It's not just the music (altough it's the most important of corse), it's way beyond that, it's the item itself as well from let's say 1957. The smell, the knowledge that it is not played much since someone bought it in the 50's. The blissful feeling that you own a piece of jazz history, a real, rare piece. An original, not some second pressing with the wrong address on the labels or the absence of the framed cover where it should be one. I play all my records, and I only buy the ones I enjoy the music to the full. I'm not going to buy a rarity just because it's rare. The music has to appeal of course. But usually the high-end rarities are also the best albums. It's worth every penny.

Reply with quote Back to top
Rafter242Offline
Post subject: Re: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2013 - 05:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Fredrik wrote:
This should be interesting... My top item cost me $3600. It is an original 1st pressing of Sonny Clarks' Cool Struttin' (BLP 1588). Feel free to add what album cost you the most as well..

Your item is not represented in the poll... (hint, hint)

My top item was $2500 for a 1st state Beatles "butcher" cover.

FredrikOffline
Post subject: Re: How much money have you spent on one record?  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2013 - 02:38 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Rafter242 wrote:
Fredrik wrote:
This should be interesting... My top item cost me $3600. It is an original 1st pressing of Sonny Clarks' Cool Struttin' (BLP 1588). Feel free to add what album cost you the most as well..

Your item is not represented in the poll... (hint, hint)

I have now voted too. Smile

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2013 - 02:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Fredrik wrote:
If you're not satisfied with anything less than an original first pressing in M-/M- condition of a jazz holy grail on for example Blue Note (you only buy 1st pressings period) you've gotta cough up some serious dough if you're not going to settle for a later pressing. There's no shortcuts. You're not gonna find them all in flea markets. That's just not gonna happen. If you want a couple of hundred high-end jazz collectibles for example you have got to spend some money. There's no soul in the second pressings or later pressings I feel. It's got to be the first pressing for me. In nice collectible condition. It's not just the music (altough it's the most important of corse), it's way beyond that, it's the item itself as well from let's say 1957. The smell, the knowledge that it is not played much since someone bought it in the 50's. The blissful feeling that you own a piece of jazz history, a real, rare piece. An original, not some second pressing with the wrong address on the labels or the absence of the framed cover where it should be one. I play all my records, and I only buy the ones I enjoy the music to the full. I'm not going to buy a rarity just because it's rare. The music has to appeal of course. But usually the high-end rarities are also the best albums. It's worth every penny.

My buddy owns a record store and he gets people everyday that walk in with all kinds of records to sell him,lots of misc. stuff including high end Jazz,Classical,Rock.Punk etc. 1st pressings,2nd pressings,reissues,boots,etc. I see 1st pressings of Blue Notes in his store at least once every 2 weeks. This is in the US of course,so I can't speak for other areas,but my point is that these records ARE STILL OUT THERE.,whether in record stores,flea markets,or wherever,and some in pristine condition [ I've seen them ]. Digging,I've found $1000 records a few times and many records in the $100 -500 range. So,they are out there,and if you can afford to pay that kind of money for a record....more power to you !

And one other thing,I don't agree that the high-end rarities are also the best [ musically],but it's JMO.

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Imo very rare records that are very expensive can be great,mediocre or awful. Just because a record is rare it doesn't mean it's good,sometimes those rare records can be pretty good,sometimes these records live up to the hype or it's rare rubbish. It all comes down to how much money are you willing to pay for a particular record.

sb11
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2013 - 02:27 PM
Level 4
Level 4

The most I've ever spent was for four UK albums in top nick. They were...

1.) The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society mono: £185 ($280)
2.) The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed mono: £161 ($245)
3.) The Beatles - Please Please Me stereo 1st Black & Yellow issue: £165 ($250)
4.) The Beatles - With The Beatles stereo 1st Jobette, etc: £172 ($260)

I went $200 for a near mint US Beatles White Album once. I think I'd go £500 to £750 for a Beatles Please Please Me Black and Gold mono in top nick or a Led Zeppelin I with a Turquoise cover but I haven't got that kind of cash just floating around all the time so I haven't pulled that trigger yet. I may never.

B_big.Offline
Post subject: I don't spend big $$  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2013 - 02:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      I don't belong to the kind of collectors, that spend big $$/€€ on a single record. I experienced that, if you're patient, nearly all of my (few) wants occur sometimes, either for reasonable money or as reissue for the ordinary price.

Nevertheless, I have spent $ 100.00 for the Kevin Ayers (my fave male artist) album:

'Deià...Vu' (ES, Majorcan Blau Records - A014, 1984)

I guess, it was 7 years ago, and since then it turned up just one more time for a similar price.

My philosophy: spending big bucks on a single record doesn't proof that you are a real collector!

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Former Member
Post subject: RE: I don  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2013 - 08:35 PM

My philosophy: spending big bucks on a single record doesn't proof that you are a real collector!

I am real and I keep it real. With all due respect I disagree.

FredrikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2013 - 12:42 PM
Level 2
Level 2

It's just a matter of what kind of collector you are I guess. I'm a collector of only 1st pressings and would never under any circumstances buy a 2nd pressing, I rather save up for that coveted 1st pressing in top condition. Rather than buying aquarelles from a local flea market by an unknown artist I'm buying the original Salvador Dalí painting from Sotheby's. There's soul there.. much more interesting as well. There's a difference in buying the original photograph of John Coltrane with maybe a date stamped on the back and maybe some notes from the photographer himself from 1959, one of a kind, rather than buying a massproduced poster of him, with "Made in Taiwan" printed in the bottom right corner. It's all about appreciating the little details of an original pressing and the sound...ohh the sound is better as well. Rather have 50 original 1st pressings saved up for during 15 years than having 5000 2nd or later pressings.

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: Different opinion - that's fine  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2013 - 01:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Stonewall wrote:
I am real and I keep it real. With all due respect I disagree.

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .
      That's absolutely your right! Democracy works proper here on the 'Guild'! .

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Jump to: