The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
philiprollettOffline
Post subject: Another Mingus  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2013 - 03:21 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I noticed there was already a post about a certain album if Charles Mingus but I just wanted to ask some more open questions. I'm pretty new to the world of Jazz, infact so new I'm embarrassed to say I have no jazz records(yet). However on my list is Charles mingus's Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus, however I've not yet seen a copy in the UK, is ths a popular release that can still e found for a relatively small price?

If there's any other records by Mingus you'd recommend then please fell free to.

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2013 - 07:48 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Phil,

Firstly, WELCOME!!!...both to the RCG and to our own threads on the river Styx, The Jazz Forum. There is no need for you to be embarrassed about having no Jazz LPs. we all started out collecting Jazz in the same way...without any records. "Charles Mingus Prsents..." is a fine album. In my opinion, as good a place to start as any and better than some. I find it pretty accessible when playing things for friends who aren't paticularly Jazz people. A Great set of tunes. In the U.S., the LP was originally on the Candid Label and those can be hard to find here in decent condition, in the wild. I would think one would have to pay around 50 - 100 dollars U.S. (realistically) for a nice clean copy. Say VG+, More money will get you an even better copy.

I just looked at Popsike.com and as luck would have it there seems to have been some recent sales. Have a look:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=charles+mingus+presents+charles+mingus&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

rooster recommendations for mingus: ALL OF THEM!!! LOL, but seriously, i have always enjoyed "East Coasting", "Pithecanthropus Erectus", "A Modern Jazz Symposium Of Music And Poetry", "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady", "Reincarnation Of A Lovebird",
"Mingus Ah Um" and the rest, of course. I could go on, but that would only prove my "All of them" statement and I don't think that's what you're really after.

rooster

worldmusicOffline
Post subject: Mingus, Mingus, Mingus!!!  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 - 05:14 PM
Level 5
Level 5

This is a late reply which shows you how long I've been on this. Mingus is one of my all time favorites, so I'm biased. Another one that I can think of now is Tijuana Moods. Also the one with music and poetry. Check youtube for a sample of what he's done. Columbia University has a radio station, WKCR.org that will be doing a 24 hour birthday broadcast of Mingus on April 22. Something I've been listening to for many years.

Jump to: