The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nealumphredOffline
Post subject: "My New Blog" by Neal Umphred  PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 - 04:29 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERIANS

Well, I have finally up and one it: two weeks ago I launched my first blog! It is: nealumphred.com

This first effort is a general, include-whatever-the-hell-I-feel-like site at this time. Actually, I have been putting it off for so long that I had become somewhat intimidated by the whole process.

So, just putting this up and find old pieces that I had written and left lying around combined with new articles allowed me the chance to just get in and, well, do it!

As I write this for RCG, this site consists of six main categories, which you as a record collector may or may not be interested. The one that you SHOULD be interested in is

THE AVID RECORD COLLECTOR: in which I discuss any and all aspects of record collecting, as a buyer, then a seller, the as the author of a series of record collectors price guides. This category also has sub-categories:

The Price Guide Guru in which I relate the story of my stumbling into the position of author/editor of the O'Sullivan Woodside series of record collectors price guides and my later launching of the GOLDMINE line of price guides for record collectors. Along the way, I get dubbed "THE Price Guide Guru" by my readers because my books are the most complete and the most accurate ever published.

Those Oldies But Goodies (That Rarely Get Played) in which I pick out individual records, mostly singles that weren't hits when released or were but are now ignored by oldies radio stations, and opinionate with some facts and figures thrown in to make it look like I did real research.

Record Collector Related Ramblings a potpourri of writings that don't fit under the two heading above.

Posts that are currently listed in The Avid Record Collector are the first three parts of an ongoing autobiography of how I came to be the author of a series of record collectors price guides for O'Sullivan Woodside and Krause/Goldmine; an introduction to Buffalo Springfield's first album that I had intended for Wikipedia and then opted to keep for my blog; the first of an eight part series on the Byrds' second psychedelic single of 1966, 5D (Fifth Dimension); a eulogy to Paul Williams, the Father of Rock Journalism.

I have already registered and paid for several other domain names: when I have enough articles on record collecting—and I have figured out more of the technical side of running a blog, I will move those blogs to a new site that will be devoted exclusively to any and all aspects of record collecting.

Another site will be devoted exclusively to Elvis Presley as a recording artist. I started this project almost twenty years ago and have almost 1,000 manuscript pages amassed. Alas, they are in an antiquated version of Microsoft Word and need to be updated manually. (Almost done!)

Needless to say, I need all the readers that I can get as quickly as I can get them! You are all invited to come on over and read whatever you like. I do want to encourage you to post comments, whether in praise or in criticism. Anything new that you can add to one of my blogs will be gladly incorporated into that blog. The idea is to share information!

Rockahoola, baby!

NEAL UMPHRED

PS: Anyone out there up on WordPress that wanna throw some advice and directions my way, I am ready, willing, and hopefully able . . .

PPS: Those of you who have known me this past ten years will notice that I did not make this post all bold! But, I did increase the size of the font -- and that's because if you have been around here for ten years or more, your eyes are probably doing for you what mine are doing for me: aging. Enjoy!

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 - 04:35 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERITES

Here is a sample of one of my as yet unposted articles from my new blog, announced in my post above. Please feel free to critique; the more info and the more accurate that info, the better for everyone!

Out-of-Print Records vs. Used Records vs. Collectable Records

There is actually some confusion regarding the use of terms for records that are bought and sold among friends and fellow collectors, at record stores and record collectors conventions, and through the mail (using self-published sale lists, ads in magazines such as Goldmine, or ads/auctions placed on the internet. I will address three terms that are often confused with one another and thereby misused:

Out-of-print record: A record that has ceased to sell in quantities that make its continued availability on the retail shelves of satores throughout the country less than profitable is usually deleted from the record company's active catalog. Once deleted, the title is 'out-of-print' (abbreviated as either OOP or oop).

Merriam-Webster Online defines this term as it applies to book publishers, the industry in which the term originated:

in print means that it is “procurable from the publisher”;
out of print means the opposite, that it is “not procurable from the publisher.”

An out-of-print record is NOT, by definition, a used record: if the out-of-print record is an album that is still in its original, factory-sealed shrink-wrap, it has never been played and is therefore not 'used.'

These terms above and below apply equally to compact discs (or CDs), the current media that replaced the LP and gracelessly ended the 'Vinyl Era' (approximately 1948-1988).

Used record: This one should be REAL easy: a record that has been played at least once is a 'used record.' That is, a brand new record that you pay $19.99 or $24.99 or more for in 2013 (the 180 gram virgin vinyl reissues come to mind) and that you take home, open the shrink-wrap, and play once, is a used record.

Its retail value as a used record plummets from the price that you paid for it: it is usually in the $4.99 – $9.99 range in stores that carry used records.

A used record may be in print or out-of-print; an out-of-print record is NOT, by definition, a used record.

Collectable record: Merriam-Webster Online gives us the pointless definition of collectible (the more contemporary spelling but not the preferred spelling for some of us) as “suitable for being collected.”

So, if I say, “A collectable is anything suitable for being collected,” am I not then constructing a tautology?

Wikipedia does it a little bit better: “A collectable or collectible (aka collector's item) is any object regarded as being of value or interest to a collector; [it is] not necessarily monetarily valuable or [an] antique. There are numerous types of collectables and [numerous] terms to denote those types.”

In the venerated Oxford English Dictionary, collectable is the spelling listed first for this word; the OED also recognizes collectible as valid. In contemporary usage, most English-speaking countries use the first spelling, collectable, while the United States contrarily prefers the second, collectible.

As a personal aside, I was always at loggerheads with my publishers and editors at Krause Publications: their standard called for collectible while I argued for collectable to be used with the Neal Umphred titles. Guess who won that argument . . .

As stated, criticize it, correct it, amend it, add to it, . . . go for it! I just wanna get it up on the blog as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance!!!

NEAL

gbfrank
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 - 07:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Spiffy. You've been contributing volumes to us at the RCG, Neal, and now even more people will be able to tap your expertise. Thanks.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2013 - 09:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i'll comment neal, sorry for my molasses ass... Embarassed

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2013 - 11:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Neal, looking forward to more. Cool

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2013 - 11:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

neat site neal

Jump to: