The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nealumphredOffline
Post subject: We Love You / Dandelion Picture Sleeve Values  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2013 - 01:18 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

This is the first of three pieces on the Rolling Stones' single We Love You / Dandelion from 1967. All three are published on my blog and ready to read. Just click on over to http://www.nealumphred.com/page/4/ and read! There are other record-collecting related articles on the blog.

NEAL

As I write my first batch of auctions for eBay—my first auctions in eight years (and listed under a friend's name, nwenterpro)—I am playing The Rolling Stones Singles Collection – The London Years. The tracks that I am playing over and over—and, yes, I listen to CDs while I work, but vinyl for pleasure—are We Love You and Dandelion. These are two sides of one of the great, under-appreciated singles of 1967.

The year 1967 was full of great singles by established artists that should have been BIG hits but weren't—for example, Buffalo Springfield's Mr. Soul and the Byrds' Lady Friend.

Now, at the time of the release of We Love You / Dandelion, I was 15 years old. I did not buy the record when it came out, as I loathed the Stones then, especially Mick Jagger's voice.

During the Christmas season of 1967, I heard the Stones' new album, Their Satanic Majesties Request, at Susie Corgan's sixteenth birthday party. Both my best friend, Donnie Corby, and I had an epiphany upon hearing the very first track's opening line: “Why don't we sing this song altogether, open our heads let the pictures come. And if we close all our eyes together, then we will see where we all come from.”

From that moment on, I was converted! I bought the album the next day and then went after the earlier single, We Love You / Dandelion, which I found at the local McCrory's for 79¢—and it even included the great (and now rather rare) picture sleeve.

You Can Play the Dandelion Game

Today, a copy of the UK record of We Love You / Dandelion (Decca F-12654) or the US record (London 5N-905) in NM condition is worth approximately $15-20. But the US picture sleeve (also London 5N-905) is quite another story: it is one of the rarest of Stones sleeves. Determining a NM value is difficult: without thinking, I guessed $300.

A little research on Popsike shows an array of prices paid; below are four recent examples, listed chronologically:

a sleeve graded VG+ fetched $460 in 2007;
    a sleeve graded VG+ fetched $300 in 2008;
    a sleeve graded M- but with “slight creases”—and the photo used in the auction
    was NOT of the item for sale but lifted from another internet site!—
    still fetched $273 in 2010; and
    a sleeve graded NM fetched $335 in 2012.

Using these (and without having feedback from established dealers), I would not be uncomfortable listing them in a price guide at $250 for a VG+ copy and $400 for a NM copy.

The NM value is, perhaps, a little on the high end, given the lack of recent sales. But the very lack of documented sales on Popsike speaks clearly of the sleeve's rarity in premium condition.

Alas, do not hold your breath waiting for your local oldies radio show to play either We Love You or Dandelion. Most such stations have a playlist of 5-10 Stones records, and these two are NEVER among them. So . . .

If you don't have We Love You and/or Their Satanic Majesties Request (or Mr. Soul or Lady Friend), give them a listen and maybe add them to your collection. And that means buy the vinyl, not the digital crap found on so many CD reissues or downloads!!!

Reply with quote Back to top
namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2013 - 02:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Three copies have sold on eBay in the past month.

This VG+ PS with record in unknown condition sold for $260.56.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Rolling-Stones-Dandelion-We-Love-You-London-Records-45-905-Rare-Sleeve-/281141186937

This VG+ ("excellent") PS with NM record sold for $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLING-STONES-DANDELION-7-ORIGINAL-US-W-PIC-SLEEVE-/130923281577

This nice sleeve (VG++) sold for $249 by itself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Rolling-Stones-Dandelion-We-Love-You-SLEEVE-ONLY-London-Records-45-905-/161066683808

Based on these, a NM copy would probably sell even higher -- perhaps $500. I certainly agree with Neal's assessment of the value that it has in the open market. A true "mint" one (no creasing, no ring wear, no edge wear) would probably fetch more.

I'm not sure how "rare" the sleeve is, though, since it has appeared on eBay three times in one month. popsike records a few other sales this year, too. It certainly has a reputation of scarceness, but the Internet may have brought out copies that were sitting in collections. It might still be somewhat scarce, but the sleeve might also be more common than believed.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2013 - 03:07 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

NAMRALOS

I wrote the piece above a few months ago, so thanks for bringing the more recent sales to my attention.

Time will tell how "rare" the sleeve is--but I am willing to bet eleventeen dollahs against your buck-three-eighty that Near Mint copies are VERY scarce and Mint copies almost VERY SCARCE PLUS!!!

Keep on keepin' on!

NEAL

PS: Now please go read the other two sections and post a comment . . .

namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2013 - 05:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I read the August 9th article (and various comments) but had trouble locating the third one.
Anyway, yes, a MINT specimen would be impossible to obtain.

Both sides of the single were so timely, and those John and Paul guys sing on "We Love You." IMO they mark the end of a phase for the group's sound. After that, they struggled to finish the LP (TSMR) because of personal and court issues. Then they seem to have returned to more of their R&B roots. "Dandelion" alone proves that the Stones could do just about anything they set their minds to.

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2013 - 11:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't think any members of the Stones except Bill Wyman recall with any clarity what went on during the recording sessions that produced that LP and single. Most of them were in and out of jail more then the studios at that time. Left without a producer it was lucky for us that they were able to come out with anything. Cool

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: We Love You / Dandelion Picture Sleeve Values  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2013 - 12:16 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

nealumphred wrote:
... Today, a copy of the UK record of We Love You / Dandelion (Decca F-12654) or the US record (London 5N-905) in NM condition is worth approximately $15-20. But the US picture sleeve (also London 5N-905) ....
FWIW, the 5N prefix for US copies indicates a 1970s reissue. US London did not use the 5N prefix for 45-rpm singles in 1967, but (depending on which factory was involved) used 45- , LON- , or 45-LON- as a prefix. That said, "Dandelion" is a one of several Stones favorites of mine. I'm less familiar with "We Love You", as the radio station I listened to never (as I recall) played that side.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 13, 2013 - 12:24 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ANNALOOG

Not only are you correct about the London prefix, I KNEW that! I mean, I knew that "45" was the correct prefix and that the "5N" came later.

Too much researching on the internet and not paying as much attention as I should!!!

Thanks and I have made the necessary corrections on my site.

NEAL

Jump to: