The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: roots  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2013 - 08:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Dis is EVIL....

Who in der right mind would pay THAT kind of money for a torn / written on / scored ( or even worse ) record label ( no matter how " rare " )

I ( sometimes ) see these great " scores " ( especially for singles ) that would normally have found a place in my " junk / trade " box(s) back when I was buying / collecting.

My collection must be "worth " a fortune! $$$$$$$...
( No thanx, my ' value ' is in the collecting / listening of said items )

Help me...Hep me...Hilfe me...Rescue me...

Good God, yet another one !

That does it boyz....

It seems collecting has got real gone...

H

Reply with quote Back to top
Bush Monkey
Post subject: RootsVinylGuide.com  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2013 - 04:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

At Heidler
What?

At jahchicken
Very nice! Can't wait to do my next serious search. Going to definitely try your site. Just messed around with it a little bit so far and I like everything about it.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: RootsVinylGuide.com  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2013 - 05:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I bookmarked it as well,nice that it has the lower priced records unlike popsike or collectors frenzy.I do use 3 sites now instead of one.You don`t need to change anything.

jahchickenOffline
Post subject: RE: RootsVinylGuide.com  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2013 - 09:48 PM
Level 2
Level 2

@vinyl1
Thanks for checking out the site.

Yes, I did use the eBay API. They allow for some extensive exposure to auction data through their APIs, but the documentation can be difficult to navigate. I've done a few overhauls on how my particular crawler works.

Here's brief breakdown of the technology that I use:
Ruby on Rails, Nginx Server, MySQL DB, Memcache, Redis, etc..

@Heidler
I agree that the best part of collecting records is having music that you love to hear. The commodification of vinyl music has been going on for quite some time.. If anything I hope that web sites like mine will help 'even out' the economy around record collecting. However, I can see that you may see this as another way to promote greed. All the same, thanks for checking it out.

@Bush Monkey
Thanks Bush Monkey. I have short term plans to improve the search functionality, and some longer plan to add some better features so I hope you continue to use the product!

@StephenMacLeod
Thanks Stephen. Yeah, I felt that it could be useful to track low selling auctions as well. I think that sellers can become misinformed of the rarity of their records if it doesn't show up on any of the auction tracking sites.. Sometime's it had been selling consistently under $10 but they decide to open bidding at $30!

alfeizarOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: RootsVinylGuide.com  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2013 - 10:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

jahchicken wrote:

I think that sellers can become misinformed of the rarity of their records if it doesn't show up on any of the auction tracking sites..

I think there's A LOT of people that searchs for records prices on popsike and collectorsfrenzy and they are convinced that the value is at least around $20! They don't realise how those sites store the auctions filtering lower priced listings

AudioGasoline
Post subject: Re: roots  PostPosted: Aug 23, 2013 - 01:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Heidler wrote:
Dis is EVIL....
Good God, yet another one !

@Heidler
It's always a joy to find your smack-talking posts littering any thread about the business of selling records. Perhaps those of us who couldn't care less should return the favor on your rambling pontification threads about "the good old days" or "people who used to be famous that I used to know"... I don't mean to sting you, but you have to admit that your posts like this are not good-natured nor community-minded. Is it that hard to just ignore what doesn't interest you? sheesh... way to go after the new guy, btw.

@jahchicken
Great site, and it's a nice touch to include lower priced items. Is your database auction listings only, or does it include fixed price or buy-it-now listings too?

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2013 - 11:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In all fairness to H, I believe he meant to post that comment on the thread titled "Beatles 45s with ink markings?? and posted it in this thread by mistake.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2013 - 02:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CaptainVague wrote:
In all fairness to H, I believe he meant to post that comment on the thread titled "Beatles 45s with ink markings?? and posted it in this thread by mistake.

The thread from last week, with relatively meager values discussed? Ok, I suppose anything's possible. However, it's clear that the OP translated H's message the same way I did, and responded to him, yet no retraction was offered.

This is a forum specifically named to discuss record values, for petes-sake. So why jump in on any thread in this forum just to argue about the philosophical problems of putting dollar values on music? Why not post in the R&B forum about how much you hate R&B?

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

jahchickenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2013 - 05:40 PM
Level 2
Level 2

@AudioGasoline

Thanks for checking out the site.
Quote:
Is your database auction listings only, or does it include fixed price or buy-it-now listings too

Good question! The short answer is no. I decided not to tackle this issue initially, because my crawler needs to know when an auction will be completed. This reduces the crawler complexity greatly. I intend to revisit the 'buy it now' auction tracking in the future by using some more recently released features of eBay's API. Currently, the site will track 'buy it now' auctions that are sold within 15 minutes of their end time.. but that was just a pleasant, unforeseen consequence of the crawler design Wink.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: rootsvinylguide.com  PostPosted: Aug 24, 2013 - 06:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CaptainVague wrote:

ty captain, i was about to pm Heidler and ask him what he was talking about as his post definitely didn't fit the discussion. i'll ask a moderator to please move it.

Jump to: