The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JorgeSOffline
Post subject: Haven't listed vinyl & already weary of global buyers  PostPosted: May 30, 2013 - 02:56 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Haven't listed vinyl & already weary of international buyers

Hello community. Newbie here. I've been selling CDs (mostly singles) on Ebay for the last year and i'm preparing to move into the vinyl realm...don't worry, I've done my research. Only problem is, in the last 3-4 months after 8 months of 100% of international buyers getting their product, all of a sudden items are getting "lost" left and right. I was using USPS international, and of course crooked buyers would win paypal claims because I didn't have proper door to door international tracking.

The claims got so bad I started using Ebay's global shipping program which is more expensive for international buyers, but guarantees tracking door to door. But guess what, today I got a crook, er...buyer that claimed he got the item but the inserts were damaged (they were pristine) and wants a full refund and has opened a paypal claim.

Guys, with this type of fraud on the rise, how do you deal with it? I'm going to sell vinyls but the few international crooks have almost ruined it for the many good buyers.And lets face it, buyers are WAY more picky when it comes to the condition of vinyl and from what I read of this site, condition is in the eye of the beholder. It almost feels like a crooked buyers wet dream

The collection I'm selling of hip hop & r&b 12 inches and albums would probably generate interest in the states & abroad, but as a newbie should I risk it? All these bad experiences with CDs are souring me completely. Fraud is on the rise and it seems even if I cover myself with tracking the buyer can STILL say ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED and ask for his money back.

SO vinyl experts, I ready your posts faithfully. share your experience. guide me. advise me. and thank you all for what you do

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Haven't listed vinyl & already weary of global buyer  PostPosted: May 30, 2013 - 03:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If you have these kind of fears about international buyers, then limit your sales to US buyers. Overseas postage has recently taken a big price jump anyway, and I'd imagine that a lot of sellers will be switching to only domestic sales. With US buyers the tracking number confirms they've received it, and if they claim the item is not as described they'll need to return it to you for a refund.

If you're concerned that limiting sales to just the US will reduce the prices you get for your records, then use BuyItNow listings where the price is predetermined.

I don't subscribe to the idea that condition is in the eye of the beholder. If you grade accurately, and describe any defects in detail, you shouldn't have a problem.

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: Re: Haven't listed vinyl & already weary of global buyer  PostPosted: May 30, 2013 - 07:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
With US buyers the tracking number confirms they've received it, and if they claim the item is not as described they'll need to return it to you for a refund.

A tracking number only means that it got dropped off. As I learned with a $400 rarity last year, that record can be dropped off anywhere, including your neighbors porch, and show up as delivered.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Haven't listed vinyl & already weary of global buyer  PostPosted: May 30, 2013 - 07:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

LoneStarStomp wrote:

A tracking number only means that it got dropped off.

Yeah - dropped off at the address you've indicated on the package, and the tracking information online will show the progressive stops along the way that the package has taken (at least with 1st Class and higher). If someone then steals it from the recipients mailbox, or if the buyer pretends that happened and that they didn't receive it, I'd have no idea what Ebay's stance would be - I would think, under those circumstances, a seller would have a pretty good chance of winning a case. At any rate, sorry to hear that you had a problem with an inter-US delivery; I've never had one.

vinylvillela
Post subject: RE: Re: Haven  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 - 04:37 AM
Level 5
Level 5

If someone says "eye of the beholder" to me... i tell them to purchase some knowledge glasses so they can see clearly or just get back with me in a few years when they get a clue.

I don't epray upon people. To each their own.

I'm a Record Store Day pledge signer.

Jump to: