The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
UniversalMusic
Post subject: Storing records you just cleaned  PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 - 06:05 PM
Level 3
Level 3

I know there are tons of threads dedicated to cleaning and storage, but this is a little different.

So after picking up a few used records I noticed they are pretty dirty. I washed them and made sure they are clean with no dust and specks. Played them and they sound perfect with barely any hiss or pops.

So I put them back into the inner and outer sleeve for protection, but when I took them back out, they had dust and specks all over them again. I really don't want to wash my records before every play. Some of the inner sleeves are originals with designs on them which I don't want to throw out.

So what should I do? I heard that some people store their records outside the outer sleeve in a poly bag. I'm not a big fan of this method, is there another way to make sure the dust stays off?

Reply with quote Back to top
vinowinoOffline
Post subject: RE: Storing records you just cleaned  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 02:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I would advise not to put your cleaned record back in the original sleeve. Likely there is more dust, dirt, dead mites (and sometimes as I have found, suspicious white powder) in the sleeve than was on the record that needed wet cleaning. If the sleeve is interesting in itself due to advertising or something, I endeavour to blow or wipe it out and slip it empty back in the outer cover.
I buy in bulk about 4 different quality sleeves, (usually sleeve city) from basic to quite expensive then after cleaning put the record in the new sleeve depending on the value ( to me) I give the record.
Just my thoughts . I think you will get some good suggestions come in yet.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Storing records you just cleaned  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 04:43 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I would advise not to put your cleaned record back in the original sleeve.

Exactly!!

You go to all the trouble to clean the records and then put them back into a dirty sleeve - where was the sense in that?

Buy some new sleeves and use them for every record you have cleaned.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 06:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Cheaper solution - turn the sleeve open side down, hold it open and give it a shake. For the deluxe procedure, blow into it as well; you'll end up getting all that dust blown back into your face, but we must be willing to suffer in this manner for our hobby.

UniversalMusic
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 12:27 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions. I just thought of getting an extra inner sleeve and keeping both sleeves. Essentially there would be two inner sleeves in the jacket. Hopefully it won't put to much stress on the outer and damage it, otherwise I may really have to store the record outside the jacket.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 11:05 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

UniversalMusic wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I just thought of getting an extra inner sleeve and keeping both sleeves. Essentially there would be two inner sleeves in the jacket. Hopefully it won't put to much stress on the outer and damage it, otherwise I may really have to store the record outside the jacket.

My routine is to clean LPs on my RCM and then put the disc in a new poly innersleeve. If the original innersleeve is plain white, it's discarded. If it's a photo or lyric sleeve I keep it or if it's a company 'generic' sleeve I'll keep that as well. All LPs also go into new poly outersleeves. I don't keep the disc outside the cover. I don't see it of being of any benefit and besides, with over 10,000 LPs, it would be impractible.

roefkeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 - 01:46 AM
Level 4
Level 4

if i use the the original inner sleeve, like printed ones than i blow them out with my aircompressor, it's stronger than my lungs and i don't have dust in my face Very Happy

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 - 02:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Smile Smile

Jump to: