The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 08:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

went to look at a record collection in the nearest city only 40 miles from near the little town of nervous new mexico last sat and the records were all ez listening but they had a bang olufson turntable and cassette deck. the turntable is strange, it doesn't have any device to keep the tone arm from dragging the needle on the turntable base. the needle is damaged. they wanted too much for the pair so i passed on them, i thought i could always go back if i decided to buy them. i really don't need another turntable that needs work but the tape deck looks interesting.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 11:08 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Most of the Bang & Olufson turntables have proprietary cartridges, with Soundsmith being the only source for a replacement. Very pricey. It was a good idea to pass on it.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 - 11:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

thanks dave

WaxOffOffline
Post subject: RE: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2014 - 06:36 PM
Level 1
Level 1

the part left out was how GREAT these turntables sound.

you can find replacement cartridges on ebay. there were about 7 different grades and even their bottom grade is exellent sounding.

but, you wont get one for 10 bux. i have seen a couple of these local on craigs [arizona], the whole deck, with cartridge and they want less for the whole TT than most want for just the cartridge! the last one i saw was 85.00 and most b&0 carts go for much more. i have 2 b&0 tt's and they are cool. they sound great.

you didnt say how much for the decks! how much? one of the tt's with a soundsmith cart is rockin' and will cover a LOT of different genres of music. i think soundsmiths carts for the b&0 are between 189.00 up to 400.00 and all are based on the b&o original carts. these tables are worth putting a couple hundred bux into. as i said, they are cool, in a lot of ways. space age look and great sound. and, you stick out from the thorens 160, dual 1200's, and technics folks. all great decks for sure, but, this deck hangs with these decks EASILY and can surpass most with a good cart. and there a great conversation piece.

most think when they see one is that the matt is missing. its not!! it has several THIN black strips on it and you set your lp right on it. the record sits even with the deck bed, not up in the air and over the deck surface like every other TT. EVERY SERIOUS TT COLLECTOR should have one. they are a time capsule, like most vintage tt's and a tribute to thinking out of the box design effort. and a tribute to that time period of hi-fi. if the deck is 50.00 [just the tt] or below, get it!! if the carts were not so hard to find and the soundsmiths not so pricey [awsome carts though and worth their asking price], people would be talking about them and buying them just like their treasured thorens and duals and technics. there are LOTS of these decks on the net, craigslist, ebay, etc... and you can find parts decks for almost nothing if the one you are interested in has an issue or two.

and i hear people talking about the soundsmith cartridge prices but, no one seems to bark at paying 200 or 300 for a cart on their thorens, music hall, dual, technics, the usual suspects. and these ARE hi fi decks, well built and designed and worthy of a 3 bill cartridge. there is still LOTS of info and manuals and forum threads for these decks.

AFTER LOOKING THROUGH the soundsmith site again, their hand made SMMC4, which is soundsmith's version of the b&0 base cartridge that most b&0's came with, the MMC4, their entry cartridge. and a VERY good sounding one! the hand made soundsmith is going for $149.00 on their site!! its an exellent price for a great sounding, handmade cart by a company and licenced by b&0 to manufacture them. the ONLY company!! if you throw that 149.00 into that deck, you will love that tt! and if its not your thing, you WILL get your money back as soundsmith's carts are well respected. i am going to retire the mmc4 on my 1600 and get the smmc4 from soundsmith as its the original cart for the deck and a piece that should be with the deck if i ever sell it.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/bindex.html

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 10:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

sorry i took so long to see this and reply. i didn't gp back for the turntable, they wanted 100 bucks for the pair and unless it's something very special i don't buy anything that needs work or maintenance done on it. i simply don't have time for anything other than records and fly fishing.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 11:04 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

they wanted 100 bucks for the pair and unless it's something very special i don't buy anything.......

I rather think a lot of people here would think that these items were special - and at a bargain price.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: bang - olufson turntable and tape deck  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 - 01:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

and here near the little town of nervous, new mexico lots of us [lots meaning 2 or 3] would love to be able to buy many of the things you see everyday like the great wine and food you have. it's too bad we can't trade.

Jump to: