The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2013 - 10:25 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Loretta Lynn - Country Christmas
The Border Brass - Tijuana Christmas
Various Artists - Jingle Bell Jazz

I'll transfer another half dozen or so Christmas LPs to digital in the day or two. I'm already planning out my three weekly radio shows for the weekend before Christmas. Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2013 - 08:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Been on a real 80s pop kick lately, so I looked through all my boxed up LPs and grabbed anything that fit the bill (and realized I'm missing a certain Loverboy LP and don't yet have Simply Red's debut, though I know I've seen it before and passed it up):

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair (truly a classic)
Battered Wives - S/T (great early 80s pop punk - Lovers Balls is a hilarious and raunchy track)
Men at Work - Business as Usual (I know Thanksgiving is passed, but I'm thankful that I've never had to eat a vegemite sandwich)
Misfits - S/T Compilation from the late 80s (great stuff; I heard Skulls again recently in a youtube video so had to throw this on again)
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Rick Astley - Hold Me In Your Arms
Michael Bolton - Soul Provider
David Bowie - Fame and Fashion (compilation)

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 06:13 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
Been on a real 80s pop kick lately, so I looked through all my boxed up LPs and grabbed anything that fit the bill (and realized I'm missing a certain Loverboy LP and don't yet have Simply Red's debut, though I know I've seen it before and passed it up):

Battered Wives - S/T (great early 80s pop punk - Lovers Balls is a hilarious and raunchy track)
Men at Work - Business as Usual (I know Thanksgiving is passed, but I'm thankful that I've never had to eat a vegemite sandwich)
Misfits - S/T Compilation from the late 80s (great stuff; I heard Skulls again recently in a youtube video so had to throw this on again)

Nice playlist. I'm curious, do you have Tears For Fears debut "The Hurting?" That's one of my favorites from the '80s and I prefer it to "Songs From The Big Chair." Both great records.

I have that Battered Wives LP, bought new as a Canadian import on red vinyl in 1978 IIRC. I suspect they were more popular in Canada, as I've never seen any copies other than the one I own. I am spinning this record right now. Very Happy

Earlier today I was playing a stack of customer-provided 45s from the late '50s, transferring them to WAV files and CD-R. Lots of great tunes by Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Dion & The Belmonts, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ritchie Valens, etc... A fun part of my job. Smile

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2013 - 12:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:

Nice playlist. I'm curious, do you have Tears For Fears debut "The Hurting?" That's one of my favorites from the '80s and I prefer it to "Songs From The Big Chair." Both great records.

I have that Battered Wives LP, bought new as a Canadian import on red vinyl in 1978 IIRC. I suspect they were more popular in Canada, as I've never seen any copies other than the one I own. I am spinning this record right now. Very Happy

I do have "The Hurting", the only other LP I have by them. Nowadays it's fairly famous for the original version of "Mad World" which Gary Jules covered and whose cover was used for a Gears of War (video game) commercial. I'll throw it on again to see how it holds up against their sophomore effort.

I don't think Battered Wives were very popular. I've heard of the red vinyl version thanks to discogs but I haven't seen it myself; my copy is regular old black vinyl. I did see a fellow vinyl enthusiast advertise that he had it in a collection of punk vinyl he shared on reddit, but haven't seen it around otherwise. I think this was the second time I've spun it and was pleasantly surprised at it, I probably didn't give it as much of a chance the first time around since it was boxed up when I found it.

Currently spinning:

Dixon House Band - Fighting Alone (one of the few decent finds on my recent Salvation Army trip(it was on the same label as the excellent "New England" band and a google search yielded that it might be somewhat proggy so I took a chance, despite it being a bit moldy on the cover. Decent so far)

ManimalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2013 - 12:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

John Macey - Eclipse

Great funk bass/heavy guitar work-out from the early 80's.

digvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 19, 2013 - 12:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There will never be enough time to listen all my albums that i would like to listen to. But i had a little time last night to drop the needle on....

Bonniwell's Music Machine

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 19, 2013 - 02:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

digvinyl wrote:
There will never be enough time to listen all my albums that i would like to listen to. But i had a little time last night to drop the needle on....

Bonniwell's Music Machine

Good record,Dig !

ZootAlluresOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 25, 2013 - 10:51 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Camel - Stationary Traveller

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 26, 2013 - 05:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music but in the lead up to the holidays I played Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" (probably my only must play) and I found Boyz II Men's "Christmas Interpretations" on CD which I played more than a few times, mainly for the awesome track "Let It Snow"

Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba
Elton Motello - Victim of Time

PS Dave - the last time I was at the thrift I found another copy of the Battered Wives LP, and whattaya know, it was the red vinyl version, so I had to add it to the collection.

ManimalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2013 - 03:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - Magical Power From Mars

Jump to: