The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jason29307Offline
Post subject: Rare Jazz master lacquer disc I bought (Azie Mortimer)  PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 07:36 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I recently bought a, what I think is a lacquer master disc, described as an acetate on ebay.
The record is by Azie Mortimer. Not to much information on here. All I know is she was a Chicago night club singer that released some northern soul singles, and one Lp titled "Feeling Of Jazz"
The record was released on Bethlehem BS 10006. Seems pretty obscure.
The "acetate" I have has the same tracklisting as Feeling Of Jazz but it is in a different order, and it has an extra song on it titled "Cool It" which, what I have gathered was recorded in the same session.
Here is the personal from that record..

Azie Mortimer - Feeling Of Jazz (Bethlehem BS 10006)

Side A:
01 Feeling of jazz
02 Lover man (Oh where can you be)
03 Capricious
04 Whisper not
05 Speak low
06 Round midnight

Side B:
07 It's a most unusual day
08 When I fall in love
09 Milestones
10 On Green Dolphin Street
11 Someday my prince will come
12 Soon

Personnel:

Azie Mortimer - vocal

Big Band:
Mercer Ellington - leader
Phil Woods - alto sax & clarinet
Milt Hinton - bass
Mundell Lowe - guitar
WM. Rodriguez - bongo
Charlie Persip - drums
Eugene Young - trumpet
Joe Wilder - trumpet
Ernest Royal - trumpet
J. Nottingham - trumpet
Britt Woodman - trombone
Jimmy Cleveland - trombone
Quent Jackson - trombone
Andy Fitzgerald - baritone sax
Jerome Richardson - tenor sax
Harold Ahsby - tenor sax
Hilton Jefferson - alto sax

Combo:
Mercer Ellington - leader
Milt Hinton - bass
Jimmy Jones - piano
Charlie Persip - drums
Joe Galbraith - guitar
Les Span - guitar

Vocal background:
The Buchanan Quartet

Arranged and conducted by: Mercer Ellington
Produced by: Mort Kaplan

It has an A and R New York City label on the disc.
Would this be rare? I don't know much about jazz records, but any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much

Jason

Reply with quote Back to top
jason29307Offline
Post subject: RE: Rare Jazz master lacquer disc I bought (Azie Mortimer)  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2013 - 05:34 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone? I can send photos if that would help...

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Rare Jazz master lacquer disc I bought (Azie Mortimer)  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2013 - 08:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi Jason- your acetate falls into the very rare but possibly limited demand category. If it was an alternate take on the northern soul 45- my guess would be a lot. If you are going to list it on ebay- I would make sure it has an audio clip of "cool it". If you auction it- I would start it at the made a little profit point. Gl-m

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 - 04:59 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

jason,

Welcome to the RCG.

All "acetates" are rare due to the limited numbers in which they were made, but whether that "rarity" translates to "valuable" is in question. This particular LP was recorded around 1963 but not released until 1971, yet, it was released. It's not a "lost classic" or anything of that nature. Perhaps if you could show that your acetate has alternate takes of the songs that appeared on the released version of the album, you could generate some real interest among collectors of the Bethlehem label (of which there are a few) or collectors of an artist or artists that appear on the LP. From the perspective of a Jazz fan (which I am) the musicians on the album comprise a stellar cast. Quite a few of these players have reached legendary status in the world of jazz.

As regards the extra cut, "Cool It", that was also released. It was on the Troy label released as a 45 RPM single around 1963. Again, should the version on your acetate prove to be an alternate take of the released version then you MIGHT have something to get excited about.

rooster

Jump to: