The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
YesterdazebuffaloOffline
Post subject: Are the values of Beatles going to go down?  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 - 11:26 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Been selling records for a while. Records I sold for over a hundred dollars 5 years ago now I can't get rid of for ten bucks. I would like to see more discussion on this matter. Unless there has been and I need to be directed to it. I understand why this happens with Ebay, certain generations getting older, and people getting what they have wanted over time leaving less demand. Some things seem to sell no matter what, Floyd, Beatles, Zeppelin etc.. but I have also noticed the price of Beatles records dropping and I wonder what everyone's thoughts are if you think the Beatles and other greats from that era are going to go the way of the dean martin etc.. lp's today?? Should a MINT copy of the Beatles "HELP" on Apple be going for $9.99 ?? Seems I can't sell a MONO copy of Sgt. Peppers anymore! I have lots of good records stashed away that if I sold even 6-7 years ago I could've bought a house. I feel now I would be lucky to put a down payment on a car let alone a house. Is it time to sell everything? Is the $200 OPETH lp going to be worth sh*t in a few years. I hope we can discuss this and maybe come up with an accurate prediction on the future of this market.

Reply with quote Back to top
ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 04:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

good question- I too am interested in other opinions.
I've bought some pricey stuff at a few record conventions which seem to have dropped almost
to HALF of what I paid way back when...

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 07:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't think accurate predictions are possible - just guesses. There's too many variables and unknowns involved.

Right now, at this very moment, the market for true rarities should be better than it ever has been; we can see that in the out of control prices being paid for fine art. There's been a "global monetization" (running of the printing presses), and most of that extra cash has wound up in the hands of the rich. What's more, for an American seller there's also the bonus of a weak dollar, which makes our wares more attractive to the overseas market.

I think there's always rotation going on in terms of what collectors are hot for. Ebay, initially, brought down prices to "real" valuations by providing a global marketplace full of buyers and sellers. As an example, I think of "Gee" by the Crows on red vinyl pressed by Rama, which used to be valued in guides at several hundred dollars; Ebay showed that the record is not quite so rare after all, and it typically goes for around 50 dollars now. Which has nothing to do, in my opinion, with any lessening interest in doo wop, which I don't think exists at all - I've found that the watchers and bidders on doo wop records are better than for almost any other category, and the results are generally good - there's always interest in good music.

With the Beatles, there's the phenomena of huge demand and huge supply - it's possible to saturate the market with product to the point where supply exceeds demand. How many Mono Sgt Pepper's (or Help's on Apple) were printed, after all, and how many people who are interested still need a copy? The other end of the spectrum, like the OPETH LP you mention, is much harder to define; good future results are dependent on their being interest in that band and genre down the road.

mattxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 07:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have thought about ths too, I think demand will have to go down for the bulk of 60-70's rock collections ( including super collectables), I mean 30 years from now is anyone really going to be interested in average collectables like Moby Grape finger album or mc5 kojmf version?? I doubt it. As far as beatles go, there will always be some demand, but investors/dealers/etc. make it nearly impossible for a new collector to care about a premium copy because it is borderline ridic with all of the factors involved, pressing plant/origin/year/version and on top of that condition!!! It is a big turn-off, especially to new collectors. I have been trying to get my 2 20 something sons involved, because I want my awesome LP collection to go to them. One is slowly getting into it, but the other one laughs when I explain why one copy of introducing the beatles is highly sought after while the other is not!! Even makes me laugh!!! Most people like to collect things to remind them of there youth, so when all of us boomers go to the big record store in the sky, most of our collections will too!!! Just my opinion!! ( I collect for only one reason, the music, and it was a great decision)

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 07:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My brother recently said to me, "I should have sold that house back then". Timing is everything; 5-7 years seems to be the last "over-exuberant" period, financially speaking. Most people had cash, and weren't worried about losing their house. My guess is, the record buying was similarly over- exuberant.
Generations that grew up without record players- as a general whole will have little interest in buying records. If the amount of collectors is potentially less, with less to spend, and mono collectors are a small subset, I can see how some mono copies go ignored. The beatles maybe have just hit a over-saturation point.
As I looked up 78's a while back- the chinese issues demanded big money. I would think the foreign trend will be up and coming for sellers. I use a term with a wheeler/ dealer friend of mine (although I don't follow it Rolling Eyes ) "flip the burger". -m

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 07:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In the long period of my typing- there have been several posts. Sorry if I sound redundant, or dumb Wink -m

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 11:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

:...On original Lp Records, I'm not sure, though last nite Ring Starr's All Starr Band played last nite in my city, and probably, next week the top ten list of selling cds in local music stores will feature Beatles and Ringo albums, like it was when Paul came 2 years ago...Beatles always will sell Shocked

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
macqueenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 - 09:56 PM
Level 2
Level 2

50 Years Later, CBS and Grammys to Commemorate Beatles’ Appearance on ‘Ed Sullivan’

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/50-years-later-cbs-and-grammys-to-commemorate-beatles-appearance-on-ed-sullivan/

Maybe this will help those of us who are desperately trying to sell our Beatles collection. Wouldn't it be great if the younger generation had a real appreciation for The Beatles and other music from that era. They could buy all our collections and the Beatles would live on forever!!!!

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2013 - 10:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

this is a very good discussion, i have been pondering the same thing even tho i only sell collections. 30 years ago i predicted this happening because i had a idea of how many of the common records [like the E suns, beatles butchers, promo lps from the 70s, etc] were pressed and survived. survived is the big unknown factor. the really rare stuff continues to rise in price, even for copies that are far from mint. soul and RAB and blues just go up. like someone said, it's a supply and demand thing. there are only a handful of copies of the really rare stuff and the fore mention common records were pressed in the hundreds of thousands.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2013 - 11:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Out of sheer boredom, I've taken to watching some videos posted on YouTube by folks who are showing off their latest vinyl scores (or just displaying their collections in general).

Quite a few times some of the younger folks will show off a Beatles record and appear really jazzed about it. They don't really care too much about what pressing it is. They're just happy to have some of their stuff on vinyl.

That makes me think that (as long as the records are in good shape and reasonably priced) there will be a market for Beatles stuff for a good long while. Ironically, it may work out better for a dealer on a local level rather than an ebayer.

But, then again, I'm a buyer and not a seller, so I really don't have any experience to back up what I'm saying.

Just my two cents. Interesting discussion!

Jump to: