The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: terry fell  PostPosted: Nov 25, 2013 - 11:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

here's one i can tell you about, this is terry fell and this is his novelty rocker from 1956 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seoy81-lYSU

Reply with quote Back to top
Heidler
Post subject: terry fell  PostPosted: Nov 26, 2013 - 03:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi wurlitzer 1450...

Im sure there are scads of information on google-gaggle, but he was well-known out here as a song-writer, musician, producer, arranger, labels owner and ' plugger ' .

Terry Fell ( died 2007 ) was best-remembered for getting Buck ( rn: Alvis ) Owens " started " ( Owens played in Terry Fell's band )
It was Fell who took Owens to label-owner Claude Caviness who owned the tiny PEP label out of Pico Rivera, where 'ol Buck recorded as " Corky Jones "

Fell was also instrumental in getting Buck his long-term contract with Capitol Records*
(* Fell wrote and recorded " Truck Drivin' Man " before Owens had his big hit with it )

Terry Fell owned several labels, the best-known being LODE, which he ran out of his home in Downey ( 10759 Little Lake Road )
The label was distributed by CASE Records located at 145 West 154th in Gardena *
(* This address was ' home ' to a large pressing plant, and labels such as Gardena, and the early Deltone ( or Del-Tone ) imprint before they moved to the RCA building in Hollywood.

Terry Fell also recorded for his own label, and one of those releases was: " Child Bride " which had some airplay in Los Angeles in 1958 ( Lode 2004 )

He can be found on many other labels including the RCA subsidiary " X " among them.

Thanks for sharing.

H

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: terry fell  PostPosted: Nov 26, 2013 - 07:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

"Play the Music Louder" is a classic honky tonker.

stephenjayeOffline
Post subject: RE: terry fell  PostPosted: Nov 26, 2013 - 12:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have a 78rpm copy of "Truck Driving Man" on X. IMO a much better version than Buck Owens' hit, more rockabilly than country. Flipside says "Don't Drop It" and I don't know if that's the song title or just a warning to be careful with the fragile shellac rekkid. Wink

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: terry fell  PostPosted: Nov 26, 2013 - 09:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

terry fell never made a RAB record, his recordings are simply "uptempo country". i've had flexi 78s of the terry fell 78s.

stephenjayeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: terry fell  PostPosted: Nov 27, 2013 - 12:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
terry fell never made a RAB record, his recordings are simply "uptempo country". i've had flexi 78s of the terry fell 78s.

Whatever...

sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2013 - 12:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I like Terry Fell's uptempo songs very much, "Play the music louder" was also issued in Germany in 1956 on the RCA label, I got it in my collection.

@ HEIDLER
Another man who gave Buck Owens a start was Tommy Collins. Buck Owens was Tommy's first lead guitarist and went solo later and hit the big time. Buck recorded an album with Tommy Collins songs in the early 60s as a kind of tribute for him.

Heidler
Post subject: terry fell  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2013 - 03:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks sun-rocker...

Once I found a Tommy Collins LP on Capitol ( still-sealed ) for $ 1.
It's on the shelf, but I remember it has a yellow front cover with Tommy on it.

I didn't know much about Tommy Collins back then, but I bought it anyway.

At one time, Buck Owens was selling more untis than any other artist(s) on the Capitol Records roster ( and that included the Beach Boys back in the early 60s )

Some people forget just how many Owens-penned ( or co-written ) songs have been ' covered ' by other well-known acts.

I remember when Buck's right-hand man Don Rich ( rn: Ulrich ) was killed while riding his motorcycle, I thought: " Well, that's the end of the Buckaroos "
That was in 1974, and ironically, that's the same year that Buck's contract with Capitol Records came up for renewal, the label chose NOT to re-sign Owens, and he left.
( He then signed with Warner Brothers Records in 1975 )

Ol' Buck ( Alvis ) seems to have been involved in a LOT of projects, long before he wound-up owning" half " of Bakersfield, California and becoming a house-hold name.

Thanks for the information and your input.

H

Jump to: