The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shoggoth80Offline
Post subject: Sludge/Doom/Crossover/Thrash Recommendations?  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2013 - 04:35 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Ok, I blame a long wait for a job orientation... but I have been listening to a bit of different doom-ish metal and crossover/thrash lately. Toxic Holocaust, Inepsy, Municipal Waste, Winter, Age of Taurus, Conan, Catacombs, Havok, Electric Wizard, Witchfinder General, Casket (a bit more death like)... Hell for that matter, I have listened to Black Sabbath 13, and Venom's newer Fallen Angels as well. I have a hard time placing some of this into a genre. Some of these bands fuse many different elements into their music.

I have a lot of black/folk/viking sort of stuff, and a handful of NWOBHM, and obviously music from the other aforementioned bands. Some on CD, cassette, and vinyl. While I prefer vinyl (this IS record collector's guild Smile ) I don't discriminate too much when it comes to format (I am not above a digital download, as long as it is considerably less than what the album would cost, or if it is the only available format). Just looking to add variety to the playlists.

Thoughts?

Reply with quote Back to top
ManimalOffline
Post subject: RE: Sludge/Doom/Crossover/Thrash Recommendations?  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2013 - 05:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Get Sleep's Dopesmoker on vinyl - best Sludge/doom album ever. Also OM is incredible, first two by them are classics.

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 03, 2013 - 10:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Pentagram and Saint Vitus are two of my favorites. They both have lots of vinyl out.

ManimalOffline
Post subject: St. Vitus  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2013 - 10:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yeah Sid, St. Vitus are great. This is my favorite from them, the Walking Dead EP.

Stvitus wd.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.27 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

Stvitus wd.JPG

ManimalOffline
Post subject: Hallows Eve  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2013 - 10:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This is a great thrash LP, Hallows Eve - Death and Insanity. Raw thrash guitar and vox.

Saw these guys open for Motorhead on this tour - they blew the doors off the place.

HE.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.32 KB
 Viewed:  314 Time(s)

HE.JPG

shoggoth80Offline
Post subject: RE: Hallows Eve  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2013 - 11:38 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Saint Vitus IS good stuff. I've got a few of their albums between CD and MP3. Probably sound better on vinyl though. I have yet to hear Pentagram. Went looking for records today, but no Pentagram. Might have to hunt some of those online through various channels. I'll have to look into Hallows Eve.

shoggoth80Offline
Post subject: RE: Hallows Eve  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 03:32 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Manimal... just youtubed Dopesmoker. Heavy stuff. Didn't know Sleep was related to High on Fire. I saw those guys live last year. Good stuff. HEAVY freaking album. Got a few on my watch list on eBay now. When I get the money up, that's one I gotta snag on colored vinyl for sure.

Picked up a 7" EP of DOOM, live in Japan, and found a marbled blue/white album by a band called Oakhelm... which is definitely more viking metal-esque, but still good.

To anyone lurking/reading. Check out Conan's Monnos album. That's been playing very consistently over the past few days. Haven't found it on LP yet. Would be a good one to spin that way though.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Hallows Eve  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 09:27 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Here's a great vendor I discovered recently, specializing in this type of music. Check out their "$6.66 Killer Deals." I highly recommend Gallery Of Mites "Bugs On The Bluefish."

http://www.allthatisheavy.com/

shoggoth80Offline
Post subject: RE: Hallows Eve  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 04:40 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Cactus... I think I will be spending some money there in the near future. Wishlist feature... the bane of my wallet. Lol.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Hallows Eve  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 09:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

shoggoth80 wrote:
Cactus... I think I will be spending some money there in the near future. Wishlist feature... the bane of my wallet. Lol.

I can't say enough good things about "All That Is Heavy." They're in Idaho and when they ship media mail the records get here in two days. Can't beat that when you're in NW Wyoming. My last order they threw in a 'freebie' CD and there's usually a personal hand written "thank you" note on the invoice.

If there were any local record shops I'd patronize them. But there's not, so mailorder is the only best option if I want to buy new vinyl.

Jump to: