The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2013 - 11:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-tgApzqDp8 --- i like this so i'm keeping it!

Reply with quote Back to top
ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 07:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have the stock copy and its not nearly as nice as yours.
Nice piece Smile

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 07:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I agree - it's one of my favorite songs, great Detroit doo wop/soul. It's "only" about a 50 dollar record, but it's a true gem. I also have the stock copy.

Heidler
Post subject: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 12:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi hrtshpdbox...

Don't know much about the " Detroit Soul " thing, but this label was ( almost ) right down your street.

ROMAC was based in Pittsburgh ( 214 Carlton House ) and was owned by BOB MACK***
Joe Rock was his partner in VISCOUNT Records as well.

The name Joe Rock might strike a chord with you, by his association ( Manager ) with The Skyliners on CALICO Records ( also located in the Carlton Building and founded by Lennie Martin and Lou Guarino )

Joe Rock ( real name ) wrote the lyrics to the million-selling " Since I Don't Have You " ( lead-singer Jimmy Beaumont wrote the melody )

ROMAC had other releases ( as did VISCOUNT )

*** Noted disc-jockey, record collector, promoter and manager, Bob Mack ( rn: Robert McConnell ) also once managed Tommy James.
After Tommy ' signed ' with Roulette Records ( it was Mack who went to New York with him ) to pitch his record ( originally on Snap ) the trouble began.
One night, Mack walked into a Tommy James session and was " physically thrown up against the wall, choked, and then ejected by Morris Levy himself "
" After that, Tommy found himself another manager "

What's all this got to do with ROMAC ?

Only saying that Bob Mack stuck his neck out more than once!

Pittsburgh native son Joe Rock died in Nashville in 2000.

H

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 - 04:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

very interesting Heidler, ty for your informative comments.

Heidler
Post subject: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 06, 2013 - 08:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Of course my friend...

I'd like to say a big THANK YOU for posting some of these lesser-known artist / label- nuggets.

They have ALL meant a lot to me, but starting on Sunday, I must re-organize the card-files,and put them to bed once again ( back into the filing cabinets-wooden drawers )

I do hope your collection continues to grow!

Again, thank you for posting ( and sharing ) such delights!

H

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 06, 2013 - 11:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i know i speak for others too when i tell you we want your input and stories even without the card files. please continue to contribute to this site, we need you Heidler.

rooster
Post subject: RE: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 02:31 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

the only comments i can make to augment Heidler's info are the following:

this group has it's roots in Doo Wop, starting out in 1957 as the El Dupreys in Pittsburgh and went through several personnel and name changes. They never recorded under that name. They became "LeRoy And the Excitements" and did get to record a couple of Doo Wops for the alanna label in 1961 (when Joe Rock was their manager), but when the record came out it was credited to "Elroy and the Excitements". When the contract with alanna ran out they reformed as"(Leroy And) The Enchanters" when they cut your record.

As a side note, Bob Mack mentioned by Heidler, was also a record store owner (Tri State Record Shop on Liberty Avenue). Mack had a clerk working there who later became a well known Pittsburgh DJ named Mad Mike Metrovich, who was very popular in the mid 1960's. Some you may have come across a series of Damn CDs released as "Mad Mike Monsters" (or others) with a lot of obscure 60's music.

rooster

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 07:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I guess I should defend calling it Detroit music, yes? I thought, and perhaps still cling to, the idea that Romac was a Detroit label. There's this, from a website named "Detroit Soul Singles") which cites the label as belonging to Ollie McLaughlin (and shows a Romac label with him doing the production):
http://detroitsoulsingles.blogspot.com/2012/07/romac.html

And McLaughlin was most definitely a Detroit (not a Pittsburgh) personality:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ollie-mclaughlin-mn0000951593

That there were two different Romac's, 300 miles apart, is of course possible. But I have also read (somewhere, but can't find it now) a bio of the Enchantments which noted (as Rooster mentioned) all sorts of personnel changes along the way - and also talked about the Enchantments performing gigs in Detroit. As far as the personnel changes, a listen to the El Dupreys "My Love Will Never Die" on youtube leaves me wondering if there could even be one common member involved; certainly, the mysterious "Leroy" isn't taking the lead vocals there.

In terms of labeling music doo wop or soul, that's all done by today's ears, using today's perspective. The actual term "doo wop" wasn't used to describe a record until 1961:
Quote:
The term "doo-wop" is credited to have first appeared in print in 1961 in the Chicago Defender, when fans of the music coined the term during the height of a vocal harmony resurgence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo-wop

And that's the same year that records started to be described as "soul":
Quote:
The phrase "soul music" itself, referring to gospel-style music with secular lyrics, is first attested in 1961.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_music

For the artists at the time, and the fans who bought and listened, it was all just Rhythm & Blues, a term that had been around since the 1940's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_and_blues

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 08:58 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
I guess I should defend calling it Detroit music, yes? I thought, and perhaps still cling to, the idea that Romac was a Detroit label. There's this, from a website named "Detroit Soul Singles") which cites the label as belonging to Ollie McLaughlin (and shows a Romac label with him doing the production):
http://detroitsoulsingles.blogspot.com/2012/07/romac.html

And McLaughlin was most definitely a Detroit (not a Pittsburgh) personality:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ollie-mclaughlin-mn0000951593

That there were two different Romac's, 300 miles apart, is of course possible.

Yes, two Romac labels. This one based in Pittsburgh and started up, I believe, in 1963 (someone can correct me on the year). The other Romac started in Detroit by Mclaughlin in 1968 or 1969.

hrtshpdbox wrote:
As far as the personnel changes, a listen to the El Dupreys "My Love Will Never Die" on youtube leaves me wondering if there could even be one common member involved; certainly, the mysterious "Leroy" isn't taking the lead vocals there.

I don't think the Alanna release was ever released as by the "El Dupreys". By the time the record came out, the group was called "Elroy and the Excitements"

As a matter of fact, three original El Dupreys members (Wayne Walker, Ronald Hill and Paul Brentley) were members of "Elroy And The Excitements" along with " the mysterious "Leroy" (Leroy Grammer), although he was not a member at the group's beginnings.

Leroy Grammer stayed in music for a while longer. In 1964, he formed a group called "These Gents" with some members of the Pittsburgh group, "The Altairs" (The Altairs had at at one time included George Benson...Yes THAT George Benson).

rooster

Jump to: