The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stephenjayeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

rooster wrote:
the only comments i can make to augment Heidler's info are the following:

this group has it's roots in Doo Wop, starting out in 1957 as the El Dupreys in Pittsburgh and went through several personnel and name changes. They never recorded under that name. They became "LeRoy And the Excitements" and did get to record a couple of Doo Wops for the alanna label in 1961 (when Joe Rock was their manager), but when the record came out it was credited to "Elroy and the Excitements". When the contract with alanna ran out they reformed as"(Leroy And) The Enchanters" when they cut your record.

As a side note, Bob Mack mentioned by Heidler, was also a record store owner (Tri State Record Shop on Liberty Avenue). Mack had a clerk working there who later became a well known Pittsburgh DJ named Mad Mike Metrovich, who was very popular in the mid 1960's. Some you may have come across a series of Damn CDs released as "Mad Mike Monsters" (or others) with a lot of obscure 60's music.

rooster

Those "Damn CDs" were also issued on vinyl by Norton Records, perhaps you could cut them a bit of slack. Many of the songs on the three LP release also appeared on the original Mad Mike Moldies LPs that were issued in the 60s. Here's a link to some more info on Bob Mack and Mad Mike:

http://www.janceemusic.com/Mad_Mike/waxmuseum.htm

EDIT: I know Bob personally and the ROMAC rekkid shown in the OP is his imprint.

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject: Re: RE: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:18 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

stephenjaye wrote:
Those "Damn CDs" were also issued on vinyl by Norton Records, perhaps you could cut them a bit of slack. Many of the songs on the three LP release also appeared on the original Mad Mike Moldies LPs that were issued in the 60s. Here's a link to some more info on Bob Mack and Mad Mike:

Relax...I have always called Damn CDs...Damn CDs, regardless of where, how or in what form the music on them was previously released. If you were to look around the RCG a little bit, I'm reasonably sure you will find other examples of my mentioning Damn CDs.

You, Stephenjaye, are the first member to take umbrage at my use of the phrase.

I am so sorry.

DAMN CDs
DAMN CDs
DAMN CDs

rooster

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

rooster wrote:

I don't think the Alanna release was ever released as by the "El Dupreys". By the time the record came out, the group was called "Elroy and the Excitements"

As far as I can tell, no record was ever released by the El Dupreys. But I see the article:
http://oldmonmusic.blogspot.com/2008/10/el-dupreysexcitements.html
Interesting that the tenor who Leroy supposedly replaced "went to find fame and fortune"...in Detroit.

You'd think, when a group is aka ElRoy & the Excitements, that the ElRoy person (Leroy Whoever) would get a mention in the lineup:
http://doo-wop.blogg.org/themes-el_dupreys-231032.html
Instead, that site lists as the tenor the guy (Eddie Tyler) who was then succeeded by Lonnie Kurt, who was then succeeded (supposedly) by Leroy Grammer. So why would their one release be by "Elroy etc."? I'm confused by that (the Elroy person not being present on the one record released under that name). When you listen to that record....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0zMump4Uaw

....you can clearly hear that the lead singer is not the same lead singer as on the Enchantments ("featuring Leroy") record. No Elroy on that track. So I'm going to stick with Leroy being mysterious.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And, to add - from that article:
Quote:
From what we understand, LeRoy wasn't very excited when his label decided ElRoy was a better name to front the band than LeRoy and flipped his name. Who knows, maybe it was just a typo. Maybe not. That's show biz, although in Pittsburgh they still went by LeRoy and the Excitements.

Instead, they got Joe Rock of the Skyliners to manage them, and in 1961 released the doo wop “My Love Will Never Die,” b/w “No One Knows” on Alanna Reords #188 (reissued in 1963 as Alanna #565), a local outfit that still pushes platters from its' Uptown Fifth Avenue HQ. In fact, both songs are still out there on “Alanna Records Presents - Pittsburgh Rhythm and Blues/Rock 1959-1963” (ACD #5551).

Again, the singer (supposedly LeRoy) on "My Love Will Never Die" is not the singer on "Lonely Heart" (the singer on "My Love Will Never Die" no doubt wished he could sing as well as the guy on "Lonely Heart", I'm sure.).

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: the enchantments lonely heart  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

rooster wrote:
stephenjaye wrote:

Relax...I have always called Damn CDs...Damn CDs, regardless of where, how or in what form the music on them was previously released. If you were to look around the RCG a little bit, I'm reasonably sure you will find other examples of my mentioning Damn CDs.

You, Stephenjaye, are the first member to take umbrage at my use of the phrase.

I am so sorry.

DAMN CDs
DAMN CDs
DAMN CDs

rooster

i support you 100% rooster!

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
rooster wrote:

I don't think the Alanna release was ever released as by the "El Dupreys". By the time the record came out, the group was called "Elroy and the Excitements"

As far as I can tell, no record was ever released by the El Dupreys. But I see the article:
Interesting that the tenor who Leroy supposedly replaced "went to find fame and fortune"...in Detroit.

You'd think, when a group is aka ElRoy & the Excitements, that the ElRoy person (Leroy Whoever) would get a mention in the lineup:
Instead, that site lists as the tenor the guy (Eddie Tyler) who was then succeeded by Lonnie Kurt, who was then succeeded (supposedly) by Leroy Grammer. So why would their one release be by "Elroy etc."? I'm confused by that (the Elroy person not being present on the one record released under that name). When you listen to that record....

....you can clearly hear that the lead singer is not the same lead singer as on the Enchantments ("featuring Leroy") record. No Elroy on that track. So I'm going to stick with Leroy being mysterious.

hrtshpdbox wrote:
And, to add - from that article:
Quote:
From what we understand, LeRoy wasn't very excited when his label decided ElRoy was a better name to front the band than LeRoy and flipped his name. Who knows, maybe it was just a typo. Maybe not. That's show biz, although in Pittsburgh they still went by LeRoy and the Excitements.

Instead, they got Joe Rock of the Skyliners to manage them, and in 1961 released the doo wop “My Love Will Never Die,” b/w “No One Knows” on Alanna Reords #188 (reissued in 1963 as Alanna #565), a local outfit that still pushes platters from its' Uptown Fifth Avenue HQ. In fact, both songs are still out there on “Alanna Records Presents - Pittsburgh Rhythm and Blues/Rock 1959-1963” (ACD #5551).

Again, the singer (supposedly LeRoy) on "My Love Will Never Die" is not the singer on "Lonely Heart" (the singer on "My Love Will Never Die" no doubt wished he could sing as well as the guy on "Lonely Heart", I'm sure.).

I'll cede the point about the two Romac labels, I was barking up the wrong tree there. I'd like to get in touch with Bob Mack, though, to confirm the physical impossibility of the ElRoy & the Excitements LeRoy being the same person who sings on the Enchantments single.

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 09:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
rooster wrote:

The http://oldmonmusic.blogspot.com/2008/10/el-dupreysexcitements.html website you provided is interesting reading, but don't these two paragraphs from that website indicate an answer:

After the breakup, Grammer started LeRoy and the Excitements, later becoming the Enchantments. Walker, Hill, and Brentley threw in with him, and second tenor Leon Howard was added. They sang at all the hot spots in Pittsburgh and even scored some New York gigs.

in any case, Elroy or Leroy...who cares that much?

I am not feeling the love on the Ol' RCG this morning.

rooster

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 10:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

rooster wrote:

After the breakup, Grammer started LeRoy and the Excitements, later becoming the Enchantments.

If the LeRoy (Elroy) & the Excitements record was sung by Leroy Grammer, and the Enchantments single was sung by Leroy Grammer it would have required, sometime during the juncture between those two records, Leroy Grammer's voice dying, going to heaven, receiving quantum upgrades in tone, range, soul and general ability, then being reincarnated and put back in Leroy's throat. That's all I'm saying (the RCG love is still there). Plus I guess I"m also saying that I remember reading about the Enchantments doing Detroit gigs, and I wish I could find that, but can't. I'd love to get in touch with Bob Mack and confirm this (that they're not the same singer).

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 10:04 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Wurl,

Thanks for the support... Laughing

I believe I was calling them Damn CDs way back in 2002 when I first joined the site. In all that time, one vote against. Astounding.

rooster

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 10:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hrt,

Possible there was a "Pittsburgh Enchantments" and a "Detroit Enchantments"?

rooster

Jump to: