The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkdubhOffline
Post subject: Throbbing Gristle reissue on Mute.  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2013 - 05:06 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I picked up a copy of Throbbing Gristles 2nd Annual Report which is an early 80s reissue on Mute,UK release.I know that TG originals go for huge money as they were generally pressed in pretty small numbers.Anyone know if this pressing is worth much?

Reply with quote Back to top
AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 - 01:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The early Mute pressings have some value ($25-$30 or so), but nothing like the hundreds that original Industrial pressings garner.

Side note: The originals have got some bootlegs floating around out there, and the original packaging is so simple and easy to copy that it's hard to tell them apart (except for the colored vinyls, of course). If you think the real record sounds poor, you should hear the boot versions (worse than the PussyGalore "Exile On Main Street" boots).

Side note #2: Industrial started pressing remastered editions a few years ago to try and clean up the sound, but the results are kinda mixed IMHO.

Great record, btw - the band that spawned an entire genre! You just can't say that about too many people.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

darkdubhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 - 03:52 PM
Level 4
Level 4

AudioGasoline wrote:
The early Mute pressings have some value ($25-$30 or so), but nothing like the hundreds that original Industrial pressings garner.

Side note: The originals have got some bootlegs floating around out there, and the original packaging is so simple and easy to copy that it's hard to tell them apart (except for the colored vinyls, of course). If you think the real record sounds poor, you should hear the boot versions (worse than the PussyGalore "Exile On Main Street" boots).

Side note #2: Industrial started pressing remastered editions a few years ago to try and clean up the sound, but the results are kinda mixed IMHO.

Great record, btw - the band that spawned an entire genre! You just can't say that about too many people.

Nice one thanks for the info.Would you say the same for 20 Jazz Funk Greats,there seem to be quite a few copies of that floating about on discogs/ebay?

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 - 06:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

darkdubh wrote:
Would you say the same for 20 Jazz Funk Greats,there seem to be quite a few copies of that floating about on discogs/ebay?

Not sure exactly which part of my post you mean exactly. I've only seen boots of 2nd Annual Report, which is not to say they don't exist for 20 JFG. 2nd AR was their first album put on record with only a few hundred made in plain packaging. 20 JFG was a few more albums down the line, with several thousand copies probably made, in real full color packaging. The first one is what collector's want, so that's the one the bootleggers target.

Their recording process improved between the two albums too - I think the first one was done in one take straight to two-track or something totally barebones like that. This is probably why the remasters sound so hollow, because there wasn't much sound to work with in the first place. Later albums had better production, so maybe the remasters sound good, but I haven't heard them - I got the 2nd Annual Report RM only because I thought it might be an improvement. Like I said, it's more disappointing than anything.

The early presses of 20 JFG on Industrial or Fetish should be worth more than the Mute RPs, but not nearly as much as the 2nd AR originals.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

Jump to: