The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quasimodo85Offline
Post subject: Billy Nicholls would you believe ,cleaning before sale  PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 - 04:57 PM
Level 2
Level 2

A friend of mine owns a copy of this extremely rare and valuable record. it is the original pressing and it,s the holy grail of 60,s psych. rumors has it that only 20 to 50 copies still exists.
It is in very good condition considering it,s 45 years old.
i would grade the cover Vg and the vinyl Vg+ with just a few hairlines after visual inspection. the record is a bit dusty so my friend haven,t tried to play the record afraid of damaging it.
the question is, should he try to clean the record himself with a cleaning machine, try to get it professionally cleaned or sell it as it is?
He is of course interested to get top price, and therefore wants a correct grading on the vinyl.

DSC_0028.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.58 KB
 Viewed:  1845 Time(s)

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.31 KB
 Viewed:  1845 Time(s)

DSC_0008.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2013 - 05:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

He should get a couple of clean rags and wipe the record down, first with a solution of alcohol and distilled water, and second with distilled water (then use a third rag to dry it off). A sound clip would also help an auction tremendously (assuming that the clip sounds good).

I've seen several people ask about "professional cleaning" of records. I've never seen such a service. But it's not rocket science, it's not like cleaning a Renaissance painting - records are sturdy and not a problem to clean. Just be sure not to get the label too wet (or, if you do, dry it off).

quasimodo85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 - 12:14 AM
Level 2
Level 2

hrtshpdbox wrote:
He should get a couple of clean rags and wipe the record down, first with a solution of alcohol and distilled water, and second with distilled water (then use a third rag to dry it off). A sound clip would also help an auction tremendously (assuming that the clip sounds good).

I've seen several people ask about "professional cleaning" of records. I've never seen such a service. But it's not rocket science, it's not like cleaning a Renaissance painting - records are sturdy and not a problem to clean. Just be sure not to get the label too wet (or, if you do, dry it off).

I think that sounds a bit risky, he canīt allow anything happening to this record.
In record collectors guide to most valuable records itīs in the top 20, with a copy recently sold for 8000 GBP!! so you could imagine heīs a bit nervous handling it.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 - 12:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

quasimodo85 wrote:

I think that sounds a bit risky, he canīt allow anything happening to this record.
In record collectors guide to most valuable records itīs in the top 20, with a copy recently sold for 8000 GBP!! so you could imagine heīs a bit nervous handling it.

Cleaning records is not risky business. I see the 8000 pound sale - that one was sold as Mint If your friend sells one as "VG+ but dusty so I haven't tested it", a much lower price can be expected.

quasimodo85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 - 01:17 AM
Level 2
Level 2

hrtshpdbox wrote:
quasimodo85 wrote:

Cleaning records is not risky business. I see the 8000 pound sale - that one was sold as Mint If your friend sells one as "VG+ but dusty so I haven't tested it", a much lower price can be expected.

Yes he should probably clean it and test play so it can get a correct grading.
The 8000 sale was sold as Mint, but the description mentioned spindle marks .Mint means new, unplayed.. so i think that one was slightly overgraded.
And from what i can tell of the pictures of that one ,the cover on my friends copy looks better.
Besides in this case the record is so rare, that for the buyer itīs getting a Vg+ or none at all ,because they are almost never up for sale.
So iīll think he will get a fairly good amount for it when he sells it.

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 - 11:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Where are you/him located? There might be a member with a rcm, or at least experience cleaning records nearby.

...and yes you should clean it before selling. It makes grading easier since dust can look very similar to scuffs/scratches and if you're going the eBay route I would definitely put up a sound clip and nothing sounds better than freshly cleaned wax.

quasimodo85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2013 - 12:46 PM
Level 2
Level 2

j_loop wrote:
Where are you/him located? There might be a member with a rcm, or at least experience cleaning records nearby.

...and yes you should clean it before selling. It makes grading easier since dust can look very similar to scuffs/scratches and if you're going the eBay route I would definitely put up a sound clip and nothing sounds better than freshly cleaned wax.

He is located in the gothenbourg area in sweden, yes putting up a sound clip is probably a good idea. and if someone could assist with cleaning, or tips were he can have it done , it would be very appreciated.

quasimodo85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2013 - 03:42 AM
Level 2
Level 2

After a tip i have found a HiFi store in Gothenburg with a ultrasonic cleaning machine. As soon as my friend return from his vacation he will take it there, and hopefully get help to make some audio clips he can use in the ebay ad aswell.
I will keep you posted when itīs comin up for sale. so you donīt miss the opportunity to bid on this gem!

quasimodo85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2014 - 03:01 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Finally the record is up for sale at eBay UK. look for link in the selling thread.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2014 - 08:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Cleaned on an ultrasonic machine, play-graded with a $2K cartridge.

You did better than the advice you got here....

Jump to: