The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jordo12Offline
Post subject: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 - 11:40 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I have recently befriended an elderly gentleman and subsequently he has decided to sell me his record collection. I now own about 8000 records all early 50' 60' country, folk, jazz, blues, rock, a very weird and wacky assortment of records ranging all the way through too the 90's. Just looking for some tips and advice on how to sort these and determine the value as I'm not the most qualified.

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 06:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

if you're located near the little town of nervous, new mexico i would come look at them and give you a cash on the spot offer of what they're worth.

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 07:01 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Unfortunately I'm in Canada

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 07:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There are price guides, but most folks seem to prefer using sites like collectorsfrenzy.com or popsike.com. They list completed auctions for records, so you can get a realistic idea as to what a record might be worth.

Condition is key. Look around here at the Guild for a guide on how to grade records.

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 08:51 AM
Level 2
Level 2

In terms of selling a large collection like this is bulk sale better bang for buck or would it be more worthwhile to sell each individually, that is the ones that will sell.

garage45sruleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 09:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Your answer depends on what titles are in the collection, and even more important, condition of the records.

If the records are common titles, condition is beyond important - they must be super clean whether or not they are LPs, or 45s. and even then, it is hard to sell common titles unless the price is very cheap.

If you have titles which are sought-after, they will sell for a price. Condition is a factor, but you can sometimes obtain a good price for a low-grade title.

In short, there is no easy answer without knowing what titles are in the collection. you can have an expert visit to look at them, but some of these people will try to take advantage of a novice. I've seen this happen many times.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 10:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Jordo12 wrote:
In terms of selling a large collection like this is bulk sale better bang for buck or would it be more worthwhile to sell each individually, that is the ones that will sell.

If you sell in bulk, even to an honest buyer, you will get far less than what you'd get if you sold them yourself; to sell them properly, the buyer will have to do the work that you're not going to have to do. No sane buyer will offer you more than 20 or 25 percent of what he feels he can get from selling them individually.

If you sell them individually, you'll need to research, clean, photograph, list, mail, etc. With 8000 records, it would become a part-time job for you.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 11:08 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Jordo12 wrote:
I have recently befriended an elderly gentleman and subsequently he has decided to sell me his record collection. I now own about 8000 records all early 50' 60' country, folk, jazz, blues, rock, a very weird and wacky assortment of records ranging all the way through too the 90's. Just looking for some tips and advice on how to sort these and determine the value as I'm not the most qualified.

Just to give you some perspective from a buyer's point of view.

Six years ago, I looked at a collection/accumulation of about 10K records 33/45/78. They were in a garage with a leaky roof so there were condition issues with some but not all. I negotiated a price of $250.

A year later, I looked at a collection of about 2,700 records. About 1,500 were Jazz LPs in beautiful condition. Nothing rare like early Blue Notes, etc... I paid $250 for that lot.

Three months ago, I looked at a collection of 33/45/78s. 10K+ records in varying condition, covering many genres. I paid $1,500 for those.

Sell in bulk or one-by-one thru Ebay? It depends on how much time and effort you want to spend. In theory, you'll realize greater return selling on Ebay. But, what is your time worth?

Being a complete novice is a disadvantage in assessing condition and value, which is important if you're going to list and sell on Ebay. You might be best served in selling the entire lot for the best price you can get. Again, how much time do you want to spend?

Jordo12Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 12:37 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Awesome, Great help. I have done a bit of eBay selling in the past, will be starting up a store soon as I begin sorting through the endless milk crates.. Stay tuned for the store URL

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: JUST CAME INTO VERY LARGE COLLECTION OF 8000 RECORDS  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 05:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Where in Canada,there might be somebody close who would guide you or make a reasonable offer.

Jump to: