The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tw5270Offline
Post subject: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 08:27 PM
Level 5
Level 5

This buyer manowa375y purchased a book set of 78's. ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251399268503&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123 )
In my listing I clearly state that due to the frailty of these shipping is $14.00 for priority mail.

He insists I mail them media mail and I do, knowing the chance I am taking. I packaged them in bubble wrap and mailed in a record mailer. They arrived broken. Instead of contacting me he leaves the following feedback- "prick"

Now I am a patient man. I felt bad they were broken, but I offer full refunds. I carefully explained that this is the very reason for additional shipping.

The messages back and forth get progressivley worse on his part. I maintain a level of maturity.
Without him asking, and in the nature of good business and good Karma, I refund his $14.00

I did report his feedback as abusive and am on hold with ebay now to attempt to get it removed now.

I guess I am just venting...

Reply with quote Back to top
tw5270Offline
Post subject: RE: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 08:52 PM
Level 5
Level 5

OK ebay removed the feedback and I blocked the bidder.

I sent the following message-

"I have issed a refund. I also reported you for abusive feedback and had it removed.
Next time contact the seller first, you might be suprised that most sellers want customers to be happy.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and take a moment to consider how you conducted yourself in this matter."

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 09:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well done.

FWIW, in the future, couldn't you insist that it has to be Priority Mail, and if the buyer doesn't like it, they can't or shouldn't bid?

tw5270Offline
Post subject: RE: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 09:22 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I thought that is what I did by placing that statement in the listing. I guess from now on I will have to "pad" the price with additional shipping. I just hate to do that.

tw5270Offline
Post subject: RE: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 09:26 PM
Level 5
Level 5

He sent me a message back-

"
Next time be honest in your advertised pricing"

And included his websire- www.alankaplan.org

And phone number. SO I decided to call and try to patch things up. Here is how that went-

"Hi may I speak with AL"
This is him
"This is tw5270 from ebay, I wanted to touch base..."
Click, he hung up.

I guess I can only surmise he is a giant jerk or knows he was wrong and does not want to talk.

tw5270Offline
Post subject: RE: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 09:28 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I guess I feel guilty that what I said would happen did in fact happen.

...venting...

gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Am I out of line?  PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 - 09:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's really too bad that there are so many people who are never willing to admit that they are wrong. Your buyer is a jerk.

It may help in the future to state, " I will ONLY ship this item via Priority for xx dollars"

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2013 - 01:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You're not out of line, but you should pack 78s in a 14"x14"x6" box, with 2 pieces of cardboard on each side, surrounded and taped with large-bubble bubble wrap, with foam peanuts filling up the rest of the box. I ship them that way all the time, Media Mail, and they don''t break. Also, I would have just refunded the seller and contacted Ebay about the bad feedback; there's no possible good outcome achieved by writing (or, especially, calling) him.

tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2013 - 05:30 AM
Level 5
Level 5

hrtshpdbox wrote:
You're not out of line, but you should pack 78s in a 14"x14"x6" box, with 2 pieces of cardboard on each side, surrounded and taped with large-bubble bubble wrap, with foam peanuts filling up the rest of the box. I ship them that way all the time, Media Mail, and they don''t break. Also, I would have just refunded the seller and contacted Ebay about the bad feedback; there's no possible good outcome achieved by writing (or, especially, calling) him.

Does that packing usually stay under the $4 max allowed by ebay?
I have plenty of packing peanuts and bubble wrap I will just have to find the boxes (or make them)

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2013 - 06:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

tw5270 wrote:

Does that packing usually stay under the $4 max allowed by ebay?

$4.38, every time. But I will ship two per box if someone orders two, and there I wind up using eight cardboards (two on each side of record), and a sheet of bubble in the middle of them when I wrap and tape it. That brings it up to $4.63 or something like that. With three 78s I'll tape two of the boxes together.

tw5270 wrote:

I have plenty of packing peanuts and bubble wrap I will just have to find the boxes (or make them)

I get them locally, and they're about 90 cents a box (so, no question about it, you've got to make sure you put part of the price into the record itself). I make 10-and=a-quarter inch cardboard squares with a utility knife and egg cartons from the supermarket.

Jump to: