The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MikeyOffline
Post subject: My Infatuation With Bootlegs Is Almost Over  PostPosted: Dec 20, 2013 - 04:20 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

As a teenager I was infatuated with bootleg LPs. In high school, my friend and I planned to form our own bootleg label and we started collecting and making live recordings of shows.

Not too many years later at the age of 24 there I was with my own vinyl record pressing plant, the only complete Neumann disc mastering system in the country, in-house plating facility for making stampers and a printing press for labels and anything up to A3 size sheets, all under one roof. This would have allowed me to buy blank white jackets and do everything in house without anybody knowing.

The last thing I was going to do was press bootlegs as this was a serious investment for a youngster and I was building a business, so there was no need for pressing bootlegs.

Since subscribing to this blog http://theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpress.com/tag/the-amazing-kornyfone-record-label/ and after reading Ken's account of how it might have been back in the day, their shoddy workmanship, sometimes extremely poor sound quality and their deception shows me they weren't doing us any favours by releasing a lot of poor quality material, incomplete recordings, badly edited recordings, etc etc.

Compare the Japanese Led Zeppelin bootlegs of today with their often brilliant mastering, attention to detail, use of various sources to re-create the complete concert, elaborate packaging, etc etc and I wonder why Ken and his buddies from the 70s are looked a upon as some sort of heroes. Clearly they weren't.

Yes, the infatuation with that "other" recording industry has lost its shine for me.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: My Infatuation With Bootlegs Is Almost Over  PostPosted: Dec 20, 2013 - 07:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

To be fair, in some cases the sound was pretty good. In a lot of cases this was the only way to get this music. Artists and record companies refused to release alternate takes and live performances for whatever reason, so the bootleggers stepped in and filled a void. Quite a few were junk, but some sounded really good.

For folks like me who collected music pre-internet, the whole bootleg scene still holds some magic. Many times I would flip through my copy of Hot Wacks to keep up with titles that might interest me. Nowadays (thankfully) you can pretty much find and download any of this stuff, but back then it was a whole different story.

Plus, thanks to the bootleggers, some material finally received legitimate (if incomplete) release. Elton John's "11-17-70" comes to mind, but I believe there were others.

ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2013 - 06:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have a couple of ripper AC/DC boots if your interested.
Got them in MP3 a few years ago and will dig them out if your keen, quality wasn't too bad.

CliveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2013 - 11:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Clinton Heylin's history of that era, "Bootleg," remains a fascinating must-read, and I suspect he shared your sentiments as to the money grubbers essentially ruining it.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 25, 2013 - 10:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'll do a search for that book.........

MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2013 - 05:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

It's a great book, incredibly well researched. It's a shame Ken didn't contribute to it to make it complete. I know there were some killer concerts released on bootleg vinyl and I am thankful for that.

Today's blog entry on https://theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/the-nazz-retrospective-foresight/
covers a band called Nazzz who we never heard of in Australia. Seems there were two and a half bands called Nazz and the bootleggers rather confused have used both - probably not realising they were two different bands. Again shoddy workmanship.

Again, compare this to any Led Zeepelin CD bootleg that comes out of Japan today. One is concerned with making money out of nothing and the other focuses on making the best possible product with the hope that profit follows. Big difference.

In his post, "It Coulda Happened This Way", I asked Ken why there was no banding between songs. He replied "what's banding?" Banding is song separation with a "spiral" between songs. He replied that they didn't know you could do it with a live album. When they were cutting a master at a new studio the cutting engineer pressed the banding button at the end of a song and put a "spiral" between tracks. After that he says, they did it regularly. Seriously, how can you not know that, or at least learn about it early on?? That's the sloppiness that now has me fazed.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2013 - 07:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mikey wrote:

Today's blog entry on https://theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/the-nazz-retrospective-foresight/
covers a band called Nazzz who we never heard of in Australia. Seems there were two and a half bands called Nazz and the bootleggers rather confused have used both - probably not realising they were two different bands. Again shoddy workmanship.

In his post, "It Coulda Happened This Way", I asked Ken why there was no banding between songs. He replied "what's banding?" Banding is song separation with a "spiral" between songs. He replied that they didn't know you could do it with a live album. When they were cutting a master at a new studio the cutting engineer pressed the banding button at the end of a song and put a "spiral" between tracks. After that he says, they did it regularly. Seriously, how can you not know that, or at least learn about it early on?? That's the sloppiness that now has me fazed.

The bootleggers not knowing about banding is funny and kind of quaint.

Thanks for mentioning that bootleg blog. I'd never seen it before, but it looks like a fun bunch of stuff to read.

Jump to: