The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CliveOffline
Post subject: Moldy sleeve...but only on the inside.  PostPosted: Dec 24, 2013 - 11:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I picked up a 1980s UK 12" single yesterday (David Sylvian's sublime "Red Guitar"); if you've ever seen them, you know they usually came in picture sleeves that were laminated, thin, heavy paper—pretty much the same thing as a custom innersleeve on a fancy LP release around that time. The previous owner apparently wanted to take extra good care of the record, so he/she put the record itself in a generic white innersleeve, and stuffed that inside the picture sleeve.

Unfortunately, the generic sleeve apparently got wet at some point before it was stuffed in there, so there is now mold inside in a corner of the picture sleeve. Rolling Eyes

It's really weird, because there's no water damage at all on the outside of the picture sleeve, so the water/mold had to come from the inside of the sleeve. Also, there's no mold on the record itself. I suspect the mold is pretty well-contained inside the sleeve (and likely dead).

All that said, any suggestions for trying to clean that up or minimize any further spread within the sleeve?

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.08 KB
 Viewed:  1172 Time(s)

photo.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2013 - 12:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A couple good ways to make sure the mold is dead:
-Put the sleeve in the microwave on high for 10 seconds, if your microwave is big enough. My friend the bookseller uses this method for books, I've done it a couple times with 45 sleeves but our microwave isn't big enough for LPs. Tip: Make sure the inside of the microwave is immaculately clean. One thought: I don't know how this might affect lamination, but it might not be good. Personally, I feel the freezer method is safer.
-Stick the cover in a big ziploc bag and put in the freezer overnight. The 2 gallon bag is big enough for an LP (barely). Remove the cover from the plastic bag as soon as you take it out of the freezer so condensation doesn't form inside, and lay it out on a towel until it comes to room temperature.

Of course, remove the record from the cover before either of these methods.

Swabs dampened with lighter fluid will pull up the physical mold itself and some of the darker stains without leaving a moisture stain. Just lightly moistened, not soaked and dripping, take your time and go slow. Apply almost no pressure, and don't spend too much time on any one area or you could start wearing into the paper fibers. It's a little tedious, but very cathartic IMHO. You might have to tape a q-tip to a chopstick to get down in the corner, or some other MacGyver-esque approach.

Good Luck! It won't look perfect again, but it will look better and be a lot safer to store with the rest of your collection.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

CliveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2013 - 12:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

All very reasonable ideas - thanks!

Jump to: