The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: Leonard, Syd, and Muddy...  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2013 - 08:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

WHAT GOES AROUND...

Please Note: The following enrtries seems to have the publishing staff " in stitches "

Excerpt: " THE WAY WE WERE "

Interview ( partial ) with Ralph Bass ( rn: Blaus )
Beverly Wilshire Hotel
9500 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, Calif
Tuesday 08-June-1976*

* Mister Bass was then employed by Florida-based T.K. Records and was in Los Angeles for a " series of meetings " on behalf of his boss Henry Stone.

Excerpt:
" You know all those { label } owners used to know each other, hell, we'd all sit down for a meal and discuss money, the music scene, then wonder who's throat was gonna get slit next"
" Paul Gayten and I go way back, he told me you spoke with him, so this is your calling card "

" Now this doesn't mean anything anymore, we all cried when there was a loss "

" I've got a story for you then "

" I've been with both KING { FEDERAL } and CHESS, I've spent years with them, I was even running the New York ( City ) branch for Syd Nathan, that was after BOP, my label here "*
{* Mister Bass was very involved with BLACK & WHITE and other ' early ' Los Angeles-based R & B and Rock 'N Roll labels }

" Leonard Chess ( rn :Chez-Chezki ) was doing extremely well with his clubs ( actually run Phil Chess ) and his records, we were selling 78's by the the s**t-load "
" Leonard had cleared enough to build a brand new house and he invited Syd Nathan to Chicago to have a look "
" It wasn't even finished, but he wanted Nathan to see his " groovey place "

" Syd told me this, so listen up if you want to know "
" Here comes the head of KING Records, he gets to the place, there is this black workman painting the house and singing as he goes along "
" Nathan hears him and says, great Blues, I'd like to bring you to Ohio and record you for KING "
" The man says thank you, but I record for Mister Chess "
" Nathan says really ?...What's your name? "
" Sir, my name's McKinley Morganfield but my records are under the name of Muddy Waters "
" I do this... so's me and my family can eat tonight "**

(** The SAME thing happened in 1965 when the Rolling Stones wanted to come to the old Chess Studios to record, the man that was painting the studio was none-other-than Muddy Waters and The Stones "shocked " at the treatment of this American icon )

Mister Bass:
" I've got it all on them, I was with SAVOY too, but the most crazy man of them all had to be { Syd } Nathan, he really couldn't see, he had these Coke-bottle glasses to over-come his cataracts, his voice was like when your teacher scrapes the blackboard "
" Syd used to fight with James ( Brown ) almost to the point where it came to blows, James ain't about to hit nobody with glasses, not back then anyway "

" I'll show you his mind, who would name their own son.. Nathaniel Nathan Nathan "
" We used to call him Nat-Nat- Nat "

" Guys like you are trying to keep it alive, I'll respect that, but there should NEVER had been a couple of white Polish brothers ( Chess ) or a ' Heeb ' that liked Hillbilly ( Nathan ) without people like me, would have failed getting the message to the people "

Ralph Bass was going to visit his wife, died on a flight to Nassau, Bahamas, 05-March-1997.

H

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Leonard, Syd, and Muddy...  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2013 - 09:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Good to see you back, Heidler. Ironically I was just listening to some Little Walter and Muddy Waters a little while ago.

Thanks for the insights.

Heidler
Post subject: Leonard, Syd, and Muddy...  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 - 07:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks mackdaddyg...

I'll be back in touch after the New Year and we'll pick-up where we left off ( mail box went teets-up on the other computer last Monday, getting it repaired and re-worked )

In the meantime, hope you have a safe, and prosperous New Year!

H

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Leonard, Syd, and Muddy...  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 - 07:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks, Heidler. Hope 2014 is a great one for you as well (and for all the folks here at the RCG!).

Jump to: