The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: DETROIT-C-2  PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 - 01:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As we continue...

Please note: Again, please remember that some of these labels had / have like-named labels elsewhere in the country, but the following listings have all been verified as Detroit-based.

CARRIE ( Re-named La Beat in 1966 )
1960's Label
Owner: Rev. James Hendrix ( Hendricks )
P.O. Box 7763
9846 12th
6070 14th
Detroit

Note: This gentleman and his imprints seemed to move around not only Detroit, but also various cities in the country!
In Nashville: P.O. Box 1368 ( Distributed Jakes Music Co. 202 East Washington. Greenville, South Carolina )
Again in Nashville: P.O. Box 90639
( Refer also to: ARNOLD-FULTON-LANROD-and RICANE labels )

CASS Records
1970s Label

CENTAURS
1960's Label

CEI
1970's Label

CEZ VISTA
1960's Label

CGS
1980's Label
Owners: Charles and Gwen Scales

CHAMP
1980's Gospel Label

CHAMPION
1977-1981
Owner: Jimmy McKee
Note: self-owned label.
NOT affiliated with the earlier so-named imprint owned by Johnny Vincent ( Imbruglio )

CHANCE ( 1 )
1960's Label
Note: The Egyptians recorded for this imprint.

CHANCE ( 2 )
1987-1991
P.O. Box 24-842
Detroit
Note: Neither Detroit-based CHANCE labels were affiliated with the Chicago-based imprint.

CHANT
1950's Label
( Refer also to BRAX-DIAL* - FOX**--and TEEN LIFE Records )
* Not affiliated with the Los Angeles imprint, nor Buddy Killen's Nashville-based label
** Not affiliated with any other like-named labels.

CHARADE
1970's Label

CHARISMA SOUND
1970's " Funk " Label

CHATEAU
Note: Interestingly, one of the acts that recorded for this imprint was " Carolyn Hayes and The Four Tops!*
(* Levi Stubbs and the rest of the later famous Motown group were known as " The Four Aims " about that time period.

CHATSFORD RECORDS & VIDEO PRODUCTIONS Inc.
1970's Label

CHA TOK
1960's Label
( Refer also to MAS TOK - and MAS-TER Records )
Note: A group by the name of The Stereophonics recorded for this label ( hmmm )

CHECK MATE
1950's-1960's Label
Owners:*** ( Managers ) Billy ( Roquel ) and Gwen Davis ( nee Gordy )
***Notes: This label was owned by CHESS Records of Chicago and was then considered a " subsidiary " of the great label.

For some reason(s) Billy Davis often used the name of Tyran Carlo while in Detroit.

Thank you.

H

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: DETROIT-C-2  PostPosted: Jan 07, 2014 - 11:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Heidler, check your messages, there's likely others going thru those records in hollywood right now.

Heidler
Post subject: DETRIOT-C-2  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2014 - 12:23 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks wurlitzer1450...

Looks interesting, but I'm a long way from Hollywood now...

I used to be able to get there in less than 30 minutes ( depending on traffic and the early morning fog ) if I took Sunset all the way in.

It would have to be a pretty special run to get me to go back there, I actually despise what the ' developers ' have done to the place , especially people like the late Merv Griffin who destroyed Sunset and Vine with his ugly pink marble monster!*
(* Former site of Wallach's Music City and DOT Records next-door, then just south of the intersection, Sandi Stanton's Film City Recording studio )

I'm not against progress at all, and each decade since the 1920's, Hollywood kept changing, but for many of those years of the 1950's thru the 60's, much of the place remained ' intact ' ( with the exception of Pandora's Box, torn-down in the mid-60's )
Labels came and went, but the old stalwarts of Original Sound and Liberty were always there in the 60's ( not to mention the Capitol ' tower ' since 1955 when I first saw it completed )

Yes, it looks a bit interesting, and $1 each is a good price for LPs in a decent-condition, but I just couldn't bring myself to go there again for this type of sale.

Bear Valley Springs is a long way from Hollywood, but for now, that's okay with me.

I hope the person does well, and I'd be happy to know a collector or two found a few treasure within the lot, without the intention of sticking them on evil-bay after asking how much they're " worth "

Thanks for posting.

H

The photo does remind me of better days when I used to hit garage sales in the area ( the best ones seemed to be in the Burbank - Toluca Lake area )

Jump to: