The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2014 - 07:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Posted several of these back in '06 or '07, but they were lost in that inadvertent RCG image-dump...I'll begin again...

KML.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.48 KB
 Viewed:  157 Time(s)

KML.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 07:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

These labels are cool, Davey. Thanks for posting them.

Is it pretty much a safe assumption that any red/maroon (or whatever color that is) King labels are Country, and the blue labels are R&B, or are there exceptions?

Come to think of it, when did they stop using the two different labels?

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 08:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Well, the maroon label was the first, dating to late autumn 1943 when Syd Nathan started the company in Cincinnati. From 1945 to 1947 he had a companion label called Queen, which had 75 releases (most of which were leased from other labels). Queen was for him to get this feet wet in the R&B market. Queen initially had a black label with the name in a bold serif typeface, but toward the end of the run adopted a blue label with "Queen" in the same font as "King" was on the maroon label. When Nathan discontinued QUeen in late summer '47, he began a blue-label series for King: therefore, country/hillbilly (500 series) appeared on the maroon series, and R&B (4000 series) on the blue. Now, there were a few early Pop encroachments onto this maroon label, with some vocal acts, hotel orchestras (such as the BIG Waldorf-Astoria draw Emil Coleman), but for the most part it remained the domain of country stuff. The transitional moment is 1953-54, at which time the maroon label was phased out, and all King releases appeared with blue labels. (FWIW, even though they'd introduced the 45 in 1951, they still offered 78s up through '58). One further note. There was a brief Pop (15000) series from 1949, with a gold "King" logo on black stock, and there were a few Pop releases with gold logo on white stock as well.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 09:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks for the info, Davey. Most of the time, any King records I find are the maroon ones (which still ain't that many). While I have an appreciation for Country music, I'm more jazzed about the R&B stuff.

Actually, after reading your response, I remembered that somewhere I have a promo King 78 (with the bio info on the label, which I thought was a great idea the first time I saw it). What surprised me was the early 50s pop sound in the grooves. I think the song is called Sunshine and Flowers.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 09:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yeah! Lots of stuff made it onto the parent label, incl Pop, Christmas, religious, just every manner of thing. Even comedy and so forth. Sugar Ray Robinson had a blue-label King release called "Knock Him Down, Whiskey," done as a one-off....
Glad you dug the info, man!

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2014 - 06:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I always dig anything I can learn from the Guild. The first King record I ever had access to was my mom's 78 of the Five Royales When You Walked In Through The Door b/w Right Around The Corner.

Loved that record when I was a kid.

Thanks for the info and scans.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2014 - 11:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't think this is off topic, but do you know what's the Audio Lab connection to King?

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2014 - 06:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

great pics davey, i remember the tens of thousands of king 78s i would look thru at jukers in the 70s and 80s hoping to find some of the R&R cuts the juker got by mistake. king had many country artists [and others] that sold tons of records and lots of them got worn out on juke boxes. just off the top of my head -- moon mullican, delmore bros, cowboy copas, hardrock gunter, and the R&B ones, little willie john, bull moose jackson, wyonie harris, bill doggett, tod rhodes, james brown, the group ballads and many others. what a great all star roster king had. i always wanted to go to Cincinnati and look for a king record warehouse. thanks again for these great pics. i think i have a few new king 78s somewhere from the riverside cal. buy.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2014 - 08:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Gald y'all are diggin' 'em! Well, the Five Royales are the best vocal group ever, IMO. AudioLab was a subsidiary LP label of King, lasting from the late '50s-early '60s. There was QUITE a mix of stuff on these LPs, from Hank Penny to Ann Jones to Bullmoose Jackson to Billy Eckstine, as well as some of the second-tier or later artists such as Charlie Gore...thing is, these LPs are WAY expensive...75 to 100 to 150 is not uncommon. Additionally, there was a short run of EPs...talk about some $ for those! Well, re: a warehouse still around...when I was doing my initial interviews for the book (ca. 1994), I was told that existing stocks were taken behind the building, dumped, then covered over by bulldozers...egad, such horror!

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Cincinnati labels  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2014 - 11:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks for the info Davey!

Jump to: